Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax implications of a move from the UK to Ireland over the summer

Options
  • 07-04-2024 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I’m Irish, living in the UK where I’ve worked for many years. There’s serious talk of redundancies at work. Mine would be after a long service and I could use the opportunity to move back and work in Ireland.

The way the timing looks, it would be easy to move in July when the UK tax year is still young, but there’s less than 182 (or whatever) days left in the Irish tax year.

The lump sum - above the usual statutory tax-free amount - would be taxed at source in the UK, together with PILON, etc.

1. Would I be able to reclaim tax in the UK and not be resident for tax in either the UK or Ireland this year?

2. Would it be better to opt for the split-year tax treatment?

3. Are there tax advantages to not earning much / anything in Ireland until 2025 (if I could afford that)?

In case it’s relevant, I’d be severing ties with the UK apart from an occupational pension pot that could go up (or down) for another while… Also, right now I am neither tax resident nor ordinarily tax resident in Ireland.

Interested in your experience please or recommendations (by private message) for advisors who really know their stuff on such matters.

Advertisement