Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia PME - What was your experience?

Options
  • 07-04-2024 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I am aware that I’m asking this question a bit late in the day but it’s all I can think about so said I’d throw it out there. I have read all the existing threads on the subject but would love some further insight from previous Hibernia students, if possible.

I’m due to start the Post-Primary PME with Hibernia tomorrow and I’m having second thoughts. For context, I’m a mature student who is finally fulfilling my dreams of becoming a post-primary teacher after years of working in the corporate world. I literally quit my job to pursue Hibernia as I was keen to get going (and my employer, understandably, couldn’t commit to giving me time off for the placements etc). I was offered a place in their Spring 2024 cohort back in January but I’ve been left really underwhelmed and quite frustrated by how vague they are and how ‘money driven’ the whole thing seems. The people that interviewed me where wonderful, but everyone else I’ve come in contact with seem completely indifferent at best.

I was recently offered a place with one of the NUI universities and the whole experience with them has been night and day (and I haven’t even had to pay a penny for the privilege so far). In all honesty, I think I’d prefer the NUI place but feel under pressure to proceed with Hibernia.

Prior to accepting Hibernia, I did have some doubts after some of the things I’d read online but was afraid I wouldn’t get the NUI offer and be left with nothing. I have a wonderful partner who is incredibly supportive of my decision to pursue the NUI offer but everyone else I’ve spoken to keeps telling me ‘the two years will fly’ and to slog it out for the piece of paper. I’m so keen to get going but given I’ve waited nearly a decade to get to this point, I feel like four extra months isn’t the end of the world if the NUI would be a slightly better experience (I know every university has its pitfalls somewhere).

I would love to hear from anyone who completed the PME with Hibernia. What was your experience and would you do it again with the benefit of hindsight? I’m aware there are far worse problems to have in life but would really appreciate any insights anyone might have.

Thanks a million for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Platnium

Did secondary a few years ago, as the course structure suited me at the time. I worked 4-12 Mon-Fri, shift in the evenings during the course, so was able to work during my teaching placement too.

I don't have any experience of other pme courses but Hibernia was good when I compare to other institutions that I have completed other courses with. Stick to their rules and timescales with assignments and you will be fine. First year is hard, second year is pretty straightforward.

Only criticism was I finished in March and the Teaching council wouldn't register untill the college had submitted the paperwork which took another three months. I subbed during that time but it isn't counted as incremental credit as I wasn't "qualified".

Best of luck - I'm delighted with the career change and have wonderful experiences to bring to the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Readcoffeedolphin

Thank you so much for the feedback - I really appreciate it. Delighted to hear you have enjoyed the career change as well. I can’t wait to get out there :)

Advertisement