Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorist looking to overtake cyclists

Options
  • 07-04-2024 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi, I use the roads both as a cyclist and a motorist. I'm interested in views on what the position is when it's legal and feasible for a motorist to overtake a cyclist going slower. In full transparency, I'm writing this after being very frustrated by cyclists cycling 2 abreast (including some very slow uphill sections) making no attempt to allow some of tailback behind them to pass. There was even a wide right-hand bend where they could have stayed 2 abreast on the left hand part of the road. Whatever about my entitlements, when cycling I generally try to take account of other faster vehicles.

In particular, it's quite clear to me from the regulations (reg 47) that it can be OK to cycle 2 abreast. But then I read the rest of the regulations and regulation 9 in particular says:

"Save where otherwise required by these Regulations, a vehicle shall be driven on the left hand side of the roadway in such a manner so as to allow, without danger or inconvenience to traffic or pedestrians, approaching traffic to pass on the right and overtaking traffic to overtake on the right."

To me this says this if I'm cycling my bike (being a vehicle) then I should stay left to allow cars to overtake when legal. So if I'm the outside bike cycling 2 abreast, I should look to cycle on the left (i.e. single file) until a tail-back is cleared, if I'm otherwise preventing that.

Any views?

I think it makes sense anyway as a reasonable behaviour. There are plenty of idiots in cars who don't give a damn about a cyclist, but I do find plenty who are reasonable too and act with common sense. A bit of give and take is always best.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

As a cyclist its always safer to cycle 2 abreast. If you ride close to left hand side of the road you are inviting motorists to skim and do close passes which is a horrible experience and just not safe.

If there are multiple cars behind and the first car takes a chance and does not allow space the other cars behind will generally follow suit and skim you also.

Once the cars have slowed down and are staying behind us then I would single out and give the cars an opportunity to pass.

Remember the safe distance to pass is 1.5 meters which is generally the other side of the road and if there is oncoming traffic the motorist should wait until safe and move to the other side of the road to pass.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"I'm a cyclist myself but I want to complain about cyclists travelling completely legally"

Yet another trolling thread about cyclists on boards 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I've never seen cyclists take motorists into consideration and I've personally never seen cyclists move to a single file to let me pass.

Especially when they're all out on a Saturday or Sunday, 10 or 15 in a group thinking they own the road.

Ps: I hate cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Here fishy fishy. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Here we go!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement