Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth rod recommended

Options
  • 06-04-2024 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are having an old house (Dublin semi-d with 3-phase supply) rewired. It is TNCS. The electrician wants to install an earth rod with 10mm2 square cable back to the earth buzz bar on the consumer unit.

I don't understand why this is necessary. He told me that if the ESB check they will insist a earth rod is installed.

Any views on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Its standard procedure to wire a rod on a rewire

What makes you think otherwise

ESBN don't do any checking these days. They did up until the establishment of RECI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

No reason really just that the house currently has no earth rod.

I assume this is just for belt and braces is case of the loss of the PEN conductor?

Also where is the best placement for the rod?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Ya think that's it . To keep the touch voltage down on an open PEN fault if memory serves

Also important for car chargers afaik to mitigate hazard of the car being live

If memory serves it's allowable to wire a rod from the cabinet when fitting car charging .Not 100% on that

Also important to remember that RCDS don't operate in above fault conditions

Advertisement