Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Varieties To Help with Drainage

Options
  • 05-04-2024 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I have about an acre of lawn, but the soil is almost pure clay with minimal drainage in it. We installed drains under the lawn during the build, but in hindsight, not enough of them. They also appear to have simply stopped. Today, for example, the rain has been torrential and there’s not a trickle from the lawn drain - it used to run like a tap.

I know everyone’s lawn is suffering in this weather, but the most frustrating part is we are on the side of a mountain with a considerable slope - but the water just sits in the soil.

Anyway, I’m probably hoping for a miracle here, but has anyone had any success with planting grass seed specifically for clay soils? All the blurb suggests clay-specific varieties ‘thrive in clay soil’, but I’m more interested in whether or not they are thirstier and will absorb more water.

Thoughts?

Advertisement