Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding extra seats to an already converted/ registered campervan

Options
  • 05-04-2024 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have 2011 T5.1 transporter campervan,

Fully converted and registered as a camper with 2 seats on the vehicle cert.

I want to remove the bench seat in the back and add a rock and roll bed with seatbelts.

How do I go about getting the vehicle cert updated to 4 seats?
    I think the van was a shuttle before so no VRT should be due? Or would that even come in to play?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Shoog

The seat would need to be pull tested and certified as such. Pricey at over €2k.

Then it would need a SQP report again and he may actually insist on a physical test of anchorage.

Finally you would need to get it recertified on the logbook for the new seats.

Can't imagine you would get it all done for less than €3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

thanks for the reply. Yea I can see it’s not gonna be cheap, but I can see some M1 tested rock and roll beds around the 1500 mark.

I’m thinking I could fit it myself.

How much is the SQI, I thought I read before they were between 100 to 200 euro for a full conversion?

The recertification aspect is just sending in the required documents , SQI report and photos to revenue/ VRT ? If the van is a shuttle then no VRT should be due right?

I think my main concern is going back to revenue with the van, wether they think the seats increase the value and ask for some cash :-P

I’m gonna call a place or 2 during the week that do reports for camper conversions, have you any recommendations?

You need to find a local SQP and talk to him before you do anything. He will lay out what you need to show him so you can anticipate any issues in advance. Shop around as some are used to dealing with disability conversions and they will break your heart.

I would be surprised if you could get a suitable rock and roll for anything like €1500. Almost all will come from the UK and you will be hit by VAT Duties and postal fees. Been pull tested doesn't mean that your installation inherits the pull test as it's all about the actual fitting when it comes to safety.

A full conversion report is very rudimentary, he has a simple tick list for are the required features present, if there is a safety cert needed for anything you have added he will want to see that to apply his tick. The actual safety checks could be far more difficult and expensive than the conversion report.

sound advice, I will have a look for a local SQP and report back.

Thanks

well found someone that will give me a report.

M1 tested bed will do, and I can install myself.
    And it will just be a visual inspection.

So now on to find a rock and roll bed. I see a couple of place in the north where I can get a rock and roll bed for 16-1700 euro I think.
    calling them is next.
    I would love a RIB seat/bed but can’t push myself to spend the extra on them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

I'm looking at a similar route to you, except that I'm installing the certified seats fixed, not a r&r or RIB (cost prohibitive), and installing a non-seatbelt r&r bench/bed length ways to the back of the van with furniture/kitchen etc to the opposite side at the rear. Front seats, then double seatbelted bench behind, then length ways bed on one side with furniture opposite. LWB give enough space for a six foot me + wife/child on the bed once pulled out.

Me seatbelted seat is a factory Ford Custom rear bench + floor rails/fixings which I've fitted myself with spreader plates below. A combination of bolted through the chassis and the floor. Pretty solid to be fair.

Interested to hear what the SQI requires from here considering it's a factory seat/fixing system and moves away from the more expensive all-in-one RIB solution.

Please share your experience @XsApollo as it unfolds!

my experience so far is, i will more than likely drive up north and get a rock and roll bed fitted up there and according to the engineer I found , once it’s fitted then he will only do a visual inspection, actually I might give Shannon a ring and see what’s required to get the number of seats updated.

I’m also looking at changing the front seats to captain seats.

My van has VW Passat seats in the front, whoever put them in then modified the bases , and cut the threaded mounting bolts for the original seats off. So now I need to remove the base and see if I can get the bases fixed.

Captain seat are a lot of money , I can find a pair in Europe with no bases, so upon my research I see my van was shuttle and the seat come with airbags, so if I put some seat without an airbag I will have to do something to stop the airbag lights coming on.

It’s a slippery slope 😁

I will keep updated for sure.

Advertisement