Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grounding wire attached to flex pipe - need to replace the tap - quick question

Options
  • 05-04-2024 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am replacing a kitchen sink and tap see an earthing wire attached to the flex pipe for the cold water supply. I was going to just detach it from the existing pipe and reattach afterwards. Do I need to turn off the electricity etc?

Now not sure if the grounding even works on one of those flexi pipes but I need to remove the sink and tap so I was just going to put it back as was. Any googlinig I did seems to say there is no need to flip and electric switches etc,

Just double checking here.
    I was going to loosen the top nut to remove the clamp and when the new tap is in place put it back again without flicking an switches so to say or messing with the bottom screw for the earth cable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, I have never heard of an earth bonding connection being put on a flex pipe. Not sure if that's quite the right place for it - it should be on a copper pipe if anywhere at all. Can you relocate it to a copper pipe?

No, the power does not need to be turned off for that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

No need to turn power off

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MercNS

Useless on a flexi pipe, the whole idea is to keep the metal parts, ie the copper pipes, tap, sink all at equal potential in the event of a fault. you may as well cut it off. Ideally in this case, you should re-connect it to your new "metal sink". There should be clamps on the bottom of the new sink for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

The idea is to keep the extraneous metal ie; pipes and sink at the same potential as the exposed metal ; ie metal electrical appliances nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

thanks - I wondered why it was attached to the flexi pipe as I always saw these attached to copper.
    this was the way it was done when the house was built. Presume it completely useless as it currently is

Anyhow I will look and see if better option when I remove the sink.

• Advertisement
Advertisement