Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cctv on a cork roundabout

Options
  • 05-04-2024 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

while on the way home from work today I spotted this cctv camera on a roundabout in cork I am wondering can any one tell me is it a red light camera

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Probably just a CCTV to see whats going on there. We don't do red light cameras in Ireland although we really really should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Who has installed it is most likely what wexcap is asking. Once upon a time in Ireland planning permission was needed.Vut now they pop up anywhere and overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wexcap

As in cork ever intersection has these dome cameras over the traffic lights and I was wondering were they red lights sneakily installed to catch drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Collision with opposing traffic is generally how we "catch" red-light runners in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is it providing one of the feeds here?

https://www.dunkettletraffic.ie/

• Advertisement

No I am wondering are they red light cameras can anyone help me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭JohnC.

No. We don't have red light cameras in this country. There were two as a trial on Luas junctions in Dublin, but even they have not been used for several years. But they may be on the way back. But right now, there are none. And they look nothing like that.

So what do you think they use these cameras for ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Traffic monitoring camera (for monitoring volumes and movements)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Agreed - traffic monitoring and providing feeds to TII and the Dunkettle traffic app.

It's a real shame we don't have red light cameras here - they've been in use in the UK for probably 30 yrs now. Idiots clogging up junctions by running lights when there's no room, and ignoring yellow box junctions, have a lot to answer for IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Red and green lights also that work

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Act Fast

There are loads of similar installations around Galway City. They're used by the traffic control centre to adjust signal operations at junctions depending on the traffic being observed. They don't record any of the footage AFAIK. I'd assume there's a similar control centre in Cork?

To the be honest I don't know if we have a center or not what is the name of the one I. Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Advertisement