Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which gravel bike? Giant, Orbea, Merida

Options
  • 04-04-2024 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Any input on choice of gravel bike (new on bike to work scheme)

Looking at Giant Revolt, Orbea Terra H40, Merida Silex 400

All have GRX spec parts. And I think I would rather stay with a double chainset rather than 1by.

The Giant and Merida have integrated cabling, the Giant doesn't, not sure if integrated is a disadvantage on gravel.

The Giant has extra bosses for bags, the Merida even more so. The Orbea just has the extra ones under the down tube. I haven't ever bike packed but if the option was there I might try it.

The Orbea looks the nicest I think. The Giant the least good looking (because dropped stays). The Merida 2024 model is OK, (the 2023 model was fugly)

Are they really all just as good as each other maybe?

The Revolt is €1749, I think the Merida and Orbea are around €2000 ish. I'm thinking as the 2024 Giant's went up on their website recently that maybe the 2023 models will get a discount? Even if not, the Giant seems to be good value compared to the others despite the dropped stays.

Which of these would you choose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have a 2022 giant revolt 0 which I got last year at about 25% off the RRP. I haven't ridden any of the others by way of comparison but I haven't had any issues with mine. Could be lighter for the price you pay, it's not impressive when you pick it up although neither might the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Thanks. Was that discount by bargaining or in a sale? Agreed on the weight vs price thing. I haven't adjusted to post covid prices !

I haven't seen the Merida in real life but the Terra was similar in weight I thought to the Revolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

No, in the Dublin giant store it was advertised as clearance and they hardly even threw plastic pedals in at the advertised price!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DJB030244

what model is the revolt and is it carbon or aluminium ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

I have the Giant Revolt 0 (top end of the alu frames). Upgraded the wheelset. I love it.

Post edited by cletus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Jamessmith0901

If you prefer a double chainset, that helps narrow it down. Integrated cabling on the Giant and Merida is sleek but it's about personal preference. The extra bosses for bags on the Giant and Merida are handy for potential bike packing. The Orbea does have a sleek look. They're all solid with GRX spec parts. The Revolt seems like a good deal, especially with a potential discount.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In regards the integrated cabling, I have no preference either way but two things to take into account, one if you are "gravelling" but in reality you are CX/MTB light, integrated cables should last longer and operate better after the first few mud fights. Secondly, they are harder to replace, but you learn tricks to help really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I bought an internal Jagwire routing tool for 27 EUR which makes routing cables through the frame much easier.

On the other hand (having just done a build) - I'd be very wary of going for full internal i.e. through the stem or headset, no cables or hoses showing at all. I definitely wouldn't be going for this setup with mechanical shifting with cables which will need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

I got giant revolt adv 2, its a carbon frame and lower spec components, but swapped crankset and wheelset, love the frame is nice and forgiving on gravel and fast on road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

8.1kg with pedals, cages and computer is similar to the weight of most road disc brake bikes that you'll see in races these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I guess it depends where you'll be gravelling, but around Wicklow external cables would be just another thing to catch mud!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I have the Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 0, the 2022 model which got bike of the year. It's absolutely fantastic. It took me forever to decide whether to buy it or not, it was double what I'd ever spent on a bike before. Every time I get on it, I'm so happy that I bought it. It's a joy to ride.

Advertisement