Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Pay When Leaving Public Service

Options
  • 04-04-2024 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭

HIya,

If I was to hand in my notice in the public service and leave would I get all my holidays due to me for the year? (27)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Nope! Only what you have accumulated to your last day. Assuming this is an actual real question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭gifted

It Is, sorry if it comes across as not.

Reason im asking is that I can take all my holidays in one go, regardless if its in February or November...hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

that’s because there’s an expectation that you’ll return. If you take unpaid leave (for whatever reason), then your holidays are pro-rated.

So if you work 9 of 12 months, you’ll get 3/4ths of your leave. If you’ve already taken more than that in leave, your salary will be adjusted

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

No, you will get a prorata amount for the days worked that year. Your HR department will calculate your entitlement to Annual Leave once you provide the last date of your employment. If you were to take your full year leavings in February and quit in June for example, you would be deducted in final salary etc.

Also check with your HR if they offer cessor pay as not all public sector bodies do. If they don't offer it, make sure to take your eligble days off. If they offer cessor pay, they will pay out in lieu of your annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Ted222

it’s pro rata based on the number of days between the start of the leave year and your last day - relative to 365 days for your full annual allowance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement