Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New putter

Options
  • 04-04-2024 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Looking for a recommendation for a new putter -Currently hiding a fortune of expenses from the missus on new wet gear etc so dont want to go crazy

Middle of the road putter will do as im only replacing a hand me down putter that has small facial marks that may affect my putting or could be that i cant read greens -

18 handicap

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Impossible to actually recommend a putter (or any club really). It’s down to personal taste and feel. Try as many as you can in the demo area of a shop and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oleard1987

I know ,Im pretty new to golf so i was just looking for maybe a sample of what people are using and do they think they are good .Plan is to test them out but might have been easier to have a list of top5 /top 10

I had looked at TP HydroBlast Bandon #3 Putter and OdysseyWhite Hot OG SEVEN Putter and will test these but just looking for a general feel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Theres basically only two types of putters but they come in all shapes and sizes. Blade or a mallet. Mallet is what I'd recommend starting off, the higher MOI will be more forgiving. After that it comes down to toe hang/face balanced etc which is impossible to suggest without you being fitted properly.

Any Ping, Odyssey or Taylormade of recent years will do you fine. There really isn't much change in putter technology so i'd suggest go and try out the White Hot range and see what you prefer. As @callaway92 says its impossible for anyone here to recommend you a putter and theres no such thing as the 'best' putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

@callaway92 is spot on, it's always best to give it a lash yourself. Putting is such a subjective thing, it's really always down to the individual and what feels nice in your hands. So many variables in head, neck, shaft length, grip size, how you grip the club and the arc of your stroke.

Honestly ignore the above variables and simply try as many different putters as you can. Pop into a pro shop or Halpenny/McGuirks to give a few a lash.

Personally I like a mallet in 33" length. I've a 12 year old 2ball odyssey that I bought 2nd hand that doesn't have a plastic insert. I'm not likely to change it any time soon as I've not felt anything as comfortable in my hands. The length suits me due to height, arm length and posture. If I hold my mate's 35" putter it's like a giant brush handle by comparison :)

Go play with as many putters as you can, it's great craic. If you find it's odyssey mallet or ping blade etc that works. Just hop onto donedeal or adverts and get one 2nd hand or the previous model for a big saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

This is good advice. You can't go wrong with an Odessey 2-ball or #7. If tall I would suggest 35" or if short maybe 33" but try them in a shop and see what you like. Once you know what you want have a look in Adverts as you can often find a good used one, maybe with a "white hot" insert that (for me) has a nice soft feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

Measure your wrist to floor distance in inches with your hands hanging at your side, it gives a good indication of length needed. Height alone isn't the perfect judge as everyone has different length arms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

Good avice above. I splashed out on a new Scottie Phantom a few years back coz I fell in love with the look of it. There was a real sharp tinny ping off the face of the putter though that annoyed me, had to admit defeat eventually and change it. Ended u trying a few and loved the Taylormade Spider GT black, 33", as said above its very subjective and you need to feel very comfortable with this club above any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

I like a putter with a very visible line on it. No vagueness about direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

So many people get on well with the taylormade spider and it's well recognised from tour players using it that's it probably worth a mention. You can buy secondhand, I find the paint a little poor on these, and they show their age.

Another point is that many recent ping putters feature an adjustable length shaft where, if you're not sure how long you like the putter shaft, you can change it, which could be useful for someone finding their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bobster453

Still using original Odyssey 2 ball white hot insert and it still has that lovely soft feeling.

Wouldnt change it at this stage tho could do with a new grip.

Wonder when it came out in Ireland..i bought it shortly after launch.

• Advertisement

I'd say the 2 ball is around the place 20+ years at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Are Harrington and Lowry not using a 2-ball putter… great putter Used ones in very good condition can be picked up for very little money

I have had both a Superstroke Pistol 2.0 and a Tour 3.0 on a 2-ball and both worked very well

Ya they both use them , not many on tour though these days. The TaylorMade spider seemed to become the more popular mallet style in recent years

Advertisement