Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daffodils

Options
  • 04-04-2024 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Our daffodils did not flower as much this year. I wonder were they affected by the dry spell last spring and early summer? Has anyone else noticed this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ive noticed that I have a lot of blind daffs this year too. Some are flowering but not as good as last year and I think it's more of the fancy ones that are struggling. But the ones that were planted last autumn have done good. I'm not sure if it's the timing of the warm weather we had last year or the sheer amount of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

By coincidence or not but over here at my place the daffodils have been deterioration for a number of years. Only about 20%of them flowered this year. I have about 100 bulbs planted on 5 places.

I can only think my soil quality has started to suffer I also don't see as many bee's about.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yes,they were terrible this year and the ones that did flower were eaten by slugs 😐️ Tulips are looking great though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have one area of daffodils that were great, but all the rest were only ok-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 XT1200

Our daffodils this year were very bad. At least half of them were blind and those that flowered did not last,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Very bad this year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The first daffodils flowered before Christmas - one specific clump that always flowers way before any of the others, to the irritation of the neighbours who pride themselves on having early daffs 😁. The rest in that area gradually flowered and are now fading so we got a great show off them. The others not so amazing and some quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think the daffodils here were fine (and some are still in bloom) and it was just the weather this year has been too wet most of the time to be out in the garden as much as I'd usually be to enjoy them. I always let the leaves on them after blooming and remove the flowers when the are gone past their best as I read somewhere that this helps them build up energy in the bulbs for better flowering the next year.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GloriaBog

Oh that's interesting to read that we are not the only ones. Normally they are a bright splash of colour. What's left are a bit battered looking this morning.

Advertisement