Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog claim covered: No vaccine top-up or yearly checkup?

Options
  • 04-04-2024 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I've had my dogs pet insurance with Allianz for the past 4 years, since he was a pup. He's had puppy vaccinations. Does the fact that he's not had yearly vaccine top-ups and has not been health checked yearly by a vet mean he will not be covered for certain procedures or grounds for no cover at all? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you don’t vaccinate and they get eg parvo they won’t be covered. I never had any issues with other claims. BUT.. I do get an annual checkup (if not every 6 months) so you could be in trouble there. I’d get a checkup to be safe insurance wise. If you run into issues down the line - trust me you’ll be glad of the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ancuisle

He's had puppy vaccinations but not had any top-ups since, not sure if he should have had any top-ups? Why I'm wondering is renewal is due soon and is there any point in renewing only to be told he's not covered at all in case of a claim? I suppose I should have considered this after year 1🤔

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can start again now with the vaccinations and checks, you may not need all of them anyway if he doesn't mix or go to kennels. The insurance care is mainly for whether you can afford the surgery costs if they arise, and if you can't, are you mentally OK with the alternative?

We had eye issues with one dog, no pet insurance. The cost of the four appointments, would have been 1/3 of the price and the difference in cost would have paid health insurance every year so far with a few years to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d check with your vet and see what they think / if they’ve had claims rejected due to lack of checkups. I wouldn’t jump into starting vaccines over.. you could always get a titre done to show the dog has immunity. This is what I did for one of mine after his vaccines were messed up.. I moved him to a different practice as they suggested titre rather than over vaccinate. Both of mine are in the river every day now and licking puddles / slime / other dog’s wee 🤢 so I do get them vaccinated for lepto.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ancuisle

I wasn't aware of the titre test, sounds like a good idea. Had to google it…fyi "A titre test is a blood test which determines whether your pet has enough antibodies to protect itself against viruses for which it has previously been vaccinated against. Some cats and dogs are covered for life after their first vaccination. This allows us to avoid over-vaccination of your pet."👍️

• Advertisement
Advertisement