Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost New Build Attic Conversion

Options
  • 04-04-2024 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm in the process of planning for a new build and as you can imagine costs have exploded fairly quickly. Our proposal includes a converted attic with an area of 38 sq/m with ensuite, a dormer window and 2 roof lights and some storage spaces.

One cost saving measure proposed was to half convert the attic, ie build the structure without flooring, internal walls, not plaster or plumb it for this to be done at a later date when required.

My question is would this really reduce our costs by a significant amount?

Post edited by Gary_dunne on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

reduce your costs = yes

significantly, well thats a very subjective question.

how much work are you doing with the structure? are you still going to insulate around the attic shape, or just under it?

Are you going to first fix for any electrics?

what size house is it? is 38 sqm 20% of the floor area or 1%?

and most importantly, have you secured a mortgage on the basis of doing the attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Gary_dunne

To answer the most important question, no mortgage approval has been provided as this requires full costings of the build to obtain. Mortgage approval won't be an issue though.

Plan would be to just insulate under it as the room would not be in use til fully converted. First fix for electrics would be completed.

Ground floor area is 79sq/m 1st floor areas is 69sq/m so attic is roughly 50% of the floor area.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

26% (38/148)

thats significant in my view. lets assume your attic space fit out is costing around €75 / sq ft.

thats saving you around 30K in my opinion

Thanks for the estimate, difficult to find pricing anywhere online and didn't want to get the builder to calculate the savings as we're in negotiations on pricing for other areas and if we remove the estimated €30k he'll be less willing to discuss other areas.

Does anyone feel that we should just pay the 30k upfront to get all the work done as it will probably be a lot more expensive to do down the line? For context it was going to be the mater bedroom w ensuite however it's just myself and my partner and we don't plan on having kids for at least a few years so don't need the extra bedroom as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Ill tell you now that you're better off to pay the money.

You may want to convert it in the near future, then you'll be sorting out trades and taking out a loan at a much higher interest rate. Children come along very quick when you're in new house.

At the very least get him to fit the roof windows, insulation, electrics and stairs. Get the biggest roof windows you can, they look much better.

There's a pile of regulations for attic conversions and your builder will have to comply with them all, better he do it that you managing this yourself.

How many toilets are in the house already? Most are built with three, so do you really a fourth toilet?

• Advertisement

The problem is that we are already over budget and we can't afford the extra 30k that it would roughly cost. Council Development fees of €21k put the nail in the coffin.

We would be getting the stairs done at least. There will be 2 toilets in the house, downstairs w/c and large family bathroom on 1st floor, ensuite would be preferential for when we do have kids and turn it into our master bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Having three floors, now or in the future, bring in a whole range of additional regulations to comply with. If you intend leaving the attic until later make sure any work done on the ground and first floors is in line with the regulations for a three story building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭standardg60

Something is only expensive when you can't afford to pay for it, get the structural stuff done now do the rest when you're in a better position, as you say you have a few years.

Advertisement