Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olhao or Carvoeiro Portugal

Options
  • 03-04-2024 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hope someone here can help, went to Tavira last year with beloved and 2 kids 6& 7, loved it but this year looking for something similar but in a different place. Currently looking at Olhao or Carvoeiro, both look nice. Just wondering if anyone has been to either place? Carvoeiro is close to the waterpark and zoo marine but Olhao looks like a nicer calmer place similar to Tavira and is closer to the airport. Anyone been to either place, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I know both places really well. For family with kids I'd choose Carvoeiro. Olhao is quiet and with the exception of some nice restaurants, a bit dull. Carvoeiro is better in almost all respects as a holiday destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Thank you for the reply, what did you like about Carvoeiro? Our priority is keeping the kids entertained so it's access to the waterpark and zoo marine is a huge plus. We are going in August so I'm sure it will be busy. I have read that it is very hilly with lots of steps but I'm sure we will manage if we are close enough to the beach. Evening entertainment in the town would be great too. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Haven't been to Carvo but many times to Olhao. Lots of good restaurants some with evening entertainment.

The beaches involve a short ferry trip to the islands which the kids might enjoy.

Its a relaxed place and a working port but not overun with tourists.

Thank you for the reply, after more research I'm thinking Olhao is like Tavira which we all really enjoyed. Public transport links also seem a lot better in Olhao for getting around to different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Olhao and Tavira are local towns with some tourism whereas Carvoeiro is mostly a tourist resort. I would say that Olhao is significantly more built up than Tavira but that results in a good restaurant scene on the harbour front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd go for Alvor. Carvoeiro is nice but if staying in a surrounding resort it is fairly hilly! Nice walking down to the village but not so much going back (especially with a stroller). As mentioned, Olhao is more peaceful. Another option would be Luz (Baia da Luz is a lovely resort) and Lagos is only a couple miles away so you have a busy spot if you need more action.

Hate to party poop, but Slide n' Splash will be mental busy in August. While the kiddies section is nice, the water is absolutely freezing Even though there's only about 10 inches, it's freezing. I'd almost suggest not going until your kids are older so they can take advantage of the bigger slides. We've been there on a good few occastions but it's not particularly enjoyable with the crowds in the summer. I'd focus on ensuring your hotel has a couple of pools with a dedicated kiddies pool.

The Algarve forums on TripAdvisor will probably offer much more info for you and your family. Zoo Marine is ok as well, but in the summer it will be mobbed. We usually go to the Algarve at Easter when there is some comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

olhao is lovely highly recommend it. Only negative thing is having to get water taxi to best beaches.

If you are flexible you should go when the festival is on. https://www.amoteolhao.com/festival-do-marisco/

Seafood and musics

Thanks everyone for replying, we've decided on Olhao, with the added bonus of the festival. Hopefully we will be able to do a day trip to zoo marine. Any bit of sun will be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Recommend Olhas De Aqua, half way between Albuifera and Villamora, lovely beaches in walking distance as well as shops and restaurants.

• Advertisement
Advertisement