Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make money (eventually) out of FIT.

Options
  • 03-04-2024 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

Im interested in how I would make money out of installing solar panels and a battery and then feeding excess energy back to the grid via FIT.

So first question is how much would I get on FIT and how much am I allowed feed back to the grid?
    Would I be able to top up the battery on the night saver rate and then feed that back to the grid at FIT rates?
    As I understand it the night rate is only 4 hours long, so what size battery would I need to have the battery fully filled up in 4 hours to then discharge onto the grid to get the FIT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JayBee66

This page has FITs https://www.purevolt.ie/domestic-solar/feed-in-tariffs.php

It may or may not be up to date. Check the websites of individual suppliers. Your electricity supplier and FIT payer have to be the same company.

You can feed a maximum of 5KW into the grid with an NC6 registration but as many KWh as you want over the day or night. That doesn't limit your panel array to 5KW of panels. You can have more so that you fatten the bell curve when the Sun isn't allowing the array to reach 5KW.

You can do what you like with your battery at night. It's size is up to you.

You might also want to consider maximising your FIT by using less electricity; keeping within your peak usage at below 5KW so that you use less grid, staggering usage of high power devices, using an electric shower on the lower setting.

It's all down to you. What you can afford and what you're willing to sacrifice.

Wife and children are optional and may affect your FIT payments.

Post edited by JayBee66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

to add that the first €400 per person named on the bill is tax free. we have two on our account ergo we have €800 tax free FIT allowance. anything above that is taxed at the marginal rate.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

FIT is artificially high at the minute, I would be careful when estimating off such a high figure

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where does the 5kWh limit on FIT come from, first I've heard of that m

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭conor_mc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Ah sorry, yeah that's the restriction to a 5kW inverter so. So you could theoretically achieve 120kWh of FIT per day ( 5kW * 24hrs).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So going off the max KW I can draw down considering I have a 63A main fuse on my CU with 16mmsq tails that would be:

I=P/V therefore 63= p/230, therefore (230)(63)=P, therefore p= 14490 watts, ie 14.49 kw

There needs to be a buffer built in so the fuse doesn’t pop so would I be able to draw 10KW per hour into a battery for 4 hours (during the cheapest rate) to give me 40KWH of battery?

Actually I just checked electric Ireland and their “night boost” is only from 02:00 to 04:00 and it costs 10.47c per KWH.

So factoring that in:

could I draw 10KW for 2 hours at a cost of €2.09 and then sell that 20KWH at whatever the FIT will give me?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭tommythecat

There are also losses to consider when you charge a battery.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

yeah agreed, I’m just not sure how much you could actually pull from the grid into your battery with the setup I’ve mentioned, while still allowing for the background house usage- fridge, modem etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

80% round trip is what I've measured.

Advertisement