Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dacia models gain new safety kit but no price hike so even better value

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Still a Dacia though. If you want a new car more than a good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Only if the implementation is well done. Some of those electronic safety aids are at best, very annoying, and at worst, dangerous on Irish roads with inconsistent road markings

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

The Lane keep assist on the VW id3 is irritating as hell because it always tried to pull the steering, luckily it can be turned off but it's on by default when you get into the car.

The travel assist is much better of course but you do need good road markings and it works a lot better on the motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nothing much wrong with a Sandero to be fair, you get one with cruise control, aircon, and the turbocharged petrol engine for €17k. In a world of €25k Yaris and Polos without turbos, it makes loads of sense.
    They’re quite big too, wider than a Mondeo.

Wow, starting at 16,190, amazing, get 65 Hp 3 cylinder turbo, I mean that's not the fastest, the 90 Hp would be nice but for the money that's pretty great for a brand new car, no wonder they'e so popular !

Car manufacturers are really failing miserably when it comes to the cheap end of the market, it's as if they're telling people to just go and walk.

It's a pity Dacia don't make normal cars , not fan of those crossover type things. it appears to be a sad norm now.

I did read a report as to why cars are so expensive now and apart from the obvious energy hikes during COVID manufacturers had to cut production so they found out that there was massive profits to be made from this and this is what a lot of them are doing now, restricting production to make even more profits, it's sick. Mary Barra of GM said this.

Cars in the USA have got ridiculously expensive there now too but fair play to Dacia !

So many people here now on PCP spending money on cars they never would in the past and I wonder will they regret when the reality of the Balloon comes back to bite ?

• Advertisement

Here's some interesting reading about the NCAP safety ratings on the Jogger, keep reading to the part that says they didn't actually test it !

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/opinion/tom-wiltshire/dacia-jogger-euro-ncap/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I just see that both VW and Toyota have binned their low powered entry engines. Toyota is now a 1.5 petrol f or without hybrid, and the standard engine on a Polo now is a 95PS 1.0 TSI. When you’re paying €25k for a supermini you’d want to be getting a decent engine.

Yeah, they can charge what they want, if you want a Polo you got to pay the cash. The O'l TSI marketing for you !

Clio 1.2 is gone for 25K hybrid, Yaris 1.0L is gone for 27K Hybrid, it's mad really. But if people buy them then……….

I remember the 54 Hp Polo back in the 00s it was a dog but it did the job for it's intended purpose and cars back then were a lot lighter too.

I remember the 1.1 in the 1994 Polo at least I think it was a 1.1, that was a sweet little engine and a really good quality car then came the 00s and the quality went to Sh1t.

These were all cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to fix and easy to fix too by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Luna84

It's a pity Dacia don't make normal cars.

The Sandero is a normal hatch back car then they have Sandero Stepway which is a bit bigger kind of crossover thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I like the simplicity of the Dacia's. Was very tempted to get the jogger.

• Advertisement

Normal as in lower to the ground not crossover type. Although maybe that's a misinterpretation form the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The standard Sandero is just a standard hatchback like a Clio or a Polo. The Stepway is a raised version if the Sandero.

It's actually pretty decent for the money, 110 HP suppose not the worst but fully loaded it would make a difference, but I do like the interior, it's just so normal looking.

It's not a awkward looking crossover either but roomy.

https://www.theaa.ie/blog/new-car-review-dacia-jogger-extreme-se-tce-110%EF%BF%BC/

You're probably talking high 40's mpg driving normal yes I still think MPG lol and probably might touch to 50 Mpg on a longer run. Better than our Outlander diesel but the Diesel has more shove but they are laggy.

I might take one for a spin in Carlow at the weekend if they have any or if I can nip out a bit earlier tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Luna84

Sorry I don't have the link but I read one day that the Sandero's are getting the engine of the Jogger so a same 3 pot 1 litre but with direct injection instead of port. So will be up 20 hp and up 40 lb-ft torque.

edit: It's UK but surely we are the same.

That would make a difference in a smaller car but you can be sure it will up the price ?

I wonder what the TCE in the jogger is like being a much larger car ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have one of the Dusters. Super basic car but that's my A - B car. It's cheap to run and cheap to fix, something that goes a long way in the ever increasing costs of day to day life.

I'm very tempted to look at the Dacia Bigster. About 20% larger than the Duster, with a Petrol Hybrid engine as standard

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Cheaper does not mean better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

More correctly does not "always" mean better value.

Which implies that at least sometimes it actually is better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,350 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The curremt Stepway has 2 NCAP Stars and a 70% adult collision.

Would I be correct in saying this is because of how strict the test has gone.

Would the older cars which got 5 stars previously.

Be getting 1 or 2 stars if they were retested.

The NCAP gives it's final rating now based on the amount of electronic gadgets that bing and bong at you, adaptive cruise, the system where it beeps and pulls the steering if it detects you're crossing the line, most of this stuff just irritates the hell out of drivers with no real benefit because where possible most people turn off this nonsense.

All I'd be interested in is the Adult and Child results, I don't care for all the other nonsense that just inflates the cost of cars.

Older cars would have got higher ratings without all this crap.

A 2009 Clio for example got 5 star adult and 4 star child results. I'm not sure if the test has changed that if it were tested today would give it a much lower rating excluding all that electronic stuff.

• Advertisement

I see bi fuel option is not listed on Dacia Ireland , no LPG ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Even excluding the electronic stuff, the assessments are much tougher now. E.g. The side impact test used to be a 950 kg trolley moving at 50 km/h. Then it was 1300 kg @ 50 km/h. Now it's 1400 kg @ 60 km/h - a huge increase in KE.

Crash compatibility is also now part of the scoring

https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/77176/27esv-000312.pdf

Yeah, so the clio in 2009 that got 5 star adult might only get 2 or 3 star now, they use % now too.

So I wouldn't be too worried about the Dacia safety, it could be better if they improved the physical crash results I wouldn't care about the electronic stuff.

But the Dacia today is going to be safer than a car from 2010s.

Advertisement