Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to re-pipe/ re-plumb?

Options
  • 03-04-2024 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I recently purchased a 1988 house. Thought there might have been a leak under kitchen tiles but since lifting them the screed is pretty dry. The rest of the floors appear dry too. some of the rad pipes have a fair but of green copper staining from the floor to half way up the pipes but no sign of damp on concrete.

All radiators working well and heating up.

Plumber is being cautious and said "if it were me…" but at the same time not pressuring me to do the job as no immediate issue.

Does the copper staining indicate leaks or could there be other reason for this oxidation? Will try get an image up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It might be worth opening the floor and exposing the pipe as it turns up to the radiator. See if there is any indication of a leak.

In terms of the wider picture, it’s difficult to say within seeing it. Are you doing substantial renovations to the house otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

Cheers for the response!

I have stripped the place pretty bare but no substantial renovations other than new flooring (not overly expensive), paint, skirts and a cheapish new kitchen. There was a weird clear substance coming up through one of the kitchen floor tiles which is why i investigated. I was very small and would appear every once in a while. When i lifted the tiles the old adhesive appeared dampish. That dried up pretty quick and no sign of any damp patches in particular now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

A good next step might be to do a pressure test and see if the system is holding pressure.
    Your plumber will be able to do this and it will give a good indication of the condition of the current pipework.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

if the replumbing can be done without pulling up the floor then it might not cost much in the overall scheme and might be a very good investment. In the other hand, you could just do it later if there is a problem.

Will chance the pressure test next i think.. would be a worthwhile experiment.

Plumber had asked me to do the chasing (he would mark it out). Would involve kangoing the concrete floors which i don't fancy doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

If lagging on pipework seem OK and there are no obvious leaks (after pressure test) - leave well enough alone.

If the house was built during the mad celtic tiger era you would have reason to worry but , generally speaking, the quality of building work done during the 80's and up to mid 90's was of much higher standard.

Work was scarce, tradesmen were packing their bags and emigrating in their droves so plumbers etc. who stayed behind had more time and pride in their work which ensured a better end product for the homeowner.

Found leak under kitchen floor. Prob a good thing to find it now i guess. May just bite the bullet and re plumb now. thanks for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

you pretty much have to re-plumb. If it leaked in one place and there is no sign of a proximate cause (like a nail or screw hitting it) the pipe work will probably leak again somewhere else in a few years if you just repair the leak.

Advertisement