Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credited Contributions Disability Allowance

Options
  • 03-04-2024 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭

Morning All.

I've just noticed I'm not being credited PRSI CONTRIBUTIONS since going on Disability Allowance last September. I wasn't on illness benefit & moved to DA after a CE Scheme. Prior to that I had a number of years with full 52 contributions & at 57 probably have enough for a State Pension.

I'm just curious, is it normal not to be receiving credited Contributions whilst on DA as I will likely not work again.

Thanks in advance of any advice

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Judging by this:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c075c7-operational-guidelines-disability-allowance/

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/99f84f-operational-guidelines-prsi-credited-social-insurance-contributions/

you should get your credits.

I can see a potential problem for you in the future. If I get that right, you are 57 now. That means you will be under the new pension system. If you go on the pension in 2033, your pension will be either fully calculated in TCA- means you can only use up to 520 credits- or it will be calculated on the basis of 90% TCA and 10% average. All your credits will be either limited to 520 or greatly reduced in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thank you. I've about 1700 contributions a small mix of credited etc but mainly full contributions. Oddly if you move from illness benefit having used up entitlement to it, to DA you automatically get credits. I wasn't on illness benefit ever.

I'll have to contact them but appreciate the response

Just an update that might assist others.

Spoke to DSP about credited Contributions & Disability Allowance. They've explained that whilst on DA credited Contributions are not shown on Statement until a person on DA moves off that scheme or until pension age is reached. Seemingly this is also the case for other schemes /Payments, they used Carer's allowance as another example.

It seems odd but that's what I've been told & I shouldn't be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

That's what I expected them to say-no credit record until DA ends.Maybe call again this month and ask again and then ask for it in writing as a record.But fat chance of getting anything in writing but would ask anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Better ask a TD to look into it. It is a crazy situation. Credits should be registered as soon as they occur- not up to many years later. The information you got may might be true- but a TD from the opposition might be able to find out why it is this way- and may might force a change. The case is a perfect opportunity for the opposition to play to the galleries without much effort. I heard Brid Smith is great at this game.

• Advertisement

I found it a Bizzare response & will be seeking written clarification. People can be on DA or Carer's allowance for many years, possibly up to retirement, it seems illogical that credited Contributions are not been updated on a yearly basis on people's contribution statements.

Should be a yearly update at least as you say.I wouldn't trust them-get anything they say in writing.

I've just emailed my very fiesty local TD Carol Nolan to seek clarification, I know her well, she's like a dog with a bone when it comes to these type of matters.

I'm honestly Baffled by the response I got from the department.

I'll post an update as soon as I have it

I'll do the same with my TD before the end of the year for a problem with my record too.Not exactly the same,Dempo1 but losing years.I send them an email & letter and get a call months later with blah,blah,blah then nothing more.Good luck.

Edit

Post edited by Dempo1 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement