Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK ban on batteries in attics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

We will probably wait until we have a disaster.

Was in Germany recently and a newly installed one went on fire in a garage, loss included a 200k camper van

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I posted that over here too and much of the focus has been around the fire hazard differences between LiFePO4 vs Li-Ion.

The fact of the matter is not necessarily the battery technology but the very existence of a high-energy appliance carrying high DC currents from solar panels and battery systems, with almost no arc protection on the DC side (except for one manufacturer so far that I know of) and zero fire/smoke detection in the zone, commonly mounted onto wood supports (see the thumbnail on that youtube video as an example) and all concentrating within a structural component made of wood.

I had an uncle who wouldn't even charge a 12v battery within the hay-shed, a similar analogy applies here too - it's a risk which should be mitigated where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭allinthehead

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

DC isolators are causing the majority of fires as far as I can tell. Eddi's installed in a hot press are also a significant risk, much more so than batteries.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Huawei do too on some models, but that's not going to detect an overheating or melting DC connector.

• Advertisement

I know, you said you know of one manufacturer that had Arc fault detection and I knew it was Huawei you were referring to.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Mine was installed in the attic almost 2 weeks ago, great…

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tbf if one of these goes on fire anywhere even near your house you are probably in trouble.

At least have smoke alarm in your attic (which you should have anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's not recommended to install a smoke alarm in the attic. Temperature swings and humidity can damage them. There is no requirement either.

I think this was bound to happen sooner or later. These batteries should be put in an insulated and fireproof enclosure outside the house, with some form of AC to keep the extremes of weather off them.

Your home is your most valuable possession, and a failure in the cells, the electronics, or the installation could be catastrophic.

The Irish code of practice (p6, sect 4.5 and 4.5.2) still allows the installation into a suitable surface within a roof space:

https://www.seai.ie/publications/SPV-Code-of-Practice.pdf

It's not going to change for a while anyway.

If it's mounted on fire-resistant panels and the cabling is protected from being in contact with wooden surfaces then you can do what GreeBo suggested and extend the interlinked fire alarm into the attic as a mitigation strategy.

Some inverters also feature a loop circuit which can be attached to a safety system - I can't recall the name of it just now, but it allows you to rapidly disable the inverter either through a fire alarm circuit. I'll dig it out…

Well there is a very considerable exothermic behavioral distinction between LiFePO4 vs Li-Ion - you shouldn't tar LiFePO4 with the same brush.

• Advertisement

I think that depends on the type, optical or heat detectors shouldnt be affected (and there are ones rated for Attic/Garage spaces)

I would rather have one than not, and in fact my M&E consultatant recommends them also

Agreed, but there are still Li-Ion batteries for sale for this purpose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Is there though? Would love to know what ones are.

The only non LFP was the Tesla power wall, which I think now has moved to LFP.

And they weren't installed in livable spaces, so garage or outside.

You're right, but if it's not required there will be plenty who don't have it, and won't install it, especially on older builds.

That was kinda my original point, if a Li-Ion battery goes on fire anywhere near your property you are in trouble, even if its in the garage or on an outside wall, I reckon the house is toast.

I think, based on the likelihood of more and more houses getting batteries, the regs probably need updating in this area.

Yep, I think we'll see batteries getting banned from attics.
    It's extra work sure, but all it takes is one fire and anyone with an attic battery will get loaded on their house insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Given the huge temperatures in my attic, no way I'd have anything like that installed in it.

I wonder if the solution might be a boiler house type setup like we used to do for oil fired central heating?

Seems logical enough to have these in a little outbuilding with ducted accessing for cabling. Can't be that hard to do.

Worst case scenario if the battery packs go up, you lose a small shed.

It would make sense to have houses designed with ducting running from the roof to a utility area where this could all be installed very safely and with adequate space.

I think if you are doing it for safety reasons, then you dont want it anywhere near the house, which would be a problem & additional expense for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Personally I think it's a no brainer and I will sleep better at night once my batteries are in the shed, lifepo4 is safe sure but nothing is perfect

• Advertisement

But my point is, theres no solar batteries that are li-ion. The power wall was never certified for Ireland. They are all LFP.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭SodiumCooled

The company I’ve gone with suggested installing the battery and invertor in the attic but I was against that - didn’t like the idea of it hidden away. In the end we decided install in the upstairs hot press (for want of a better name - it’s got the UFH manifold in there and will be for storing clothes after washing, towels and bits like that).

As much space as I have downstairs we couldn’t find a good space for a 10kwh battery with attached invertor. Garage would have been ideal but I had floors in and all cable runs done before the solar was even discussed so can’t run any more cables out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GarlicBed

There was a fire in Ireland caused by someone decking out a plant room like hot press and stacking clothes against an Inverter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What concerns have you for LFP? These are the batteries widespread these days, continuing to say Li-Ion is muddling the water…

LFP are fine for in/around a house

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

That's why DC isolators on both the battery and solar side are not being recommended by certain organisations in the UK either. It's just another junction to go wrong. Again from eFixx:

https://electricalnews.efixx.co.uk/1978879/14269857

I suspect much of this will transfer over to here in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Has there ever been a fire on a solar battery in Ireland where they were installed in the attic?

Installer says that there hasnt and that as long as you install it properly and dont put things near it then its ok. Said the dryer in the utility room was far more likely to ever catch fire than the battery and inverter in the attic.

Nah they love the fireman switches here, thats an isolator 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭tommythecat

This all has me quite concerned. We have the inverter and battery under the eaves in a converted attic. Just installed in January. There is plenty of space around them etc but is this really a serious risk? I don't really have anywhere to move the battery. I would probably have to just get rid of it. Is the inverter also a fire risk?

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement

Advertisement