Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing BER when adding extension

Options
  • 03-04-2024 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I live in an estate house built in the 90's with a C2 rating. We are considering adding an extension. As part of this work, what might we consider doing to improve the houses overall heat retainment?

For example, I think it would make sense to upgrade all the windows since the extension will add a number of new ones anyway.

Is it possible to upgrade a house like this in a reasonably cost effective manner so that it might be efficiently heated using a heat pump sometime in the future? Our house is currently heated using a kerosene boiler and my fear is that they will be phased out at some point in the not so distant future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Biker1

Without a heat loss assessment no one can say what measures are required to bring it up to a standard that would be suitable for a heat pump. Don't be concerned about using heating oil, it will be a long time, if ever, before it will be phased out.

Advertisement