Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Car on a Current Insurance policy

Options
  • 02-04-2024 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Was about to go buy a new car and rang up my insurance company to get an idea on how much extra I'd have to pay for my remaining 3 months of insurance.

Unfortunately they wouldn't give me a quote so I'm a bit at a loss on what I can do? I'm guessing nothing?

Ive got 4 years no claims and some penalty points so don't really want to cancel my current policy as I've nearly got another year's no claims under my belt.

But I'm guessing that my only option is to cancel the current policy if I want to buy this new car? Or if I bought the car would they be required to transfer my insurance?

For reference I've done online quotes with other insurers and plenty of them are offering me a reasonable quote on the car I'm looking at.

Anyone else ever have this happen recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What car are you looking at buying? What age are you? How much are you paying now? What car do you currently have?

The risk factors must have changed for them a lot. It's normally very straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d wait the 3 months to get your extra years no claims bonus before doing anything. Its unfortunate but there will be other cars available in 3 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Shoog

Unfortunately insurance companies are fairly much a law unto themselves, they can pick and choose who they insure.

I would assume that your penalty points have increased your risk profile and you probably want a more powerful car which also increases your risk profile. You probably just passed a threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Coincide

28 and paying 400 at the minute.

140 Hp Fiesta to a 250 Hp Audi A5 so yeah I've likely just passed a threshold.

Just irritating since other insurers will insure me at 900 quid on it for a year yet my current insurer won't even set a price for the sake of a few months.

Ah well guess I'm **** out of luck until my insurance is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Each insurance company works on historical statistics to estimate future risk, your insurance company is saying we have enough risk centred around 28 year olds driving 200bhp+ cars in Dublin for example so we are closing that market off (regardless of price) we want more 21 year olds driving ford focus in cork and we'll charge them 1500 each, or we want more 45 year olds driving SUVs in the Midlands and we'll charge 350.

The more they spread their risk to resemble the statistical average the happier they are, because they can predict overall claims easier that way, they don't care about you as an individual likely or unlikely to claim.

But another insurance company will want more 28 year olds driving high powered cars because they haven't got enough of that risk profile

As strange as it sounds, that's how they work. And they do it very well, but for their own benefit only.

A5 is a common car though, you'll find another in 3 months and you'll find an insurer for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your current insurer is obliged to cover a vehicle you own provided it is road legal, you have an appropriate licence to drive it and it's not against 'the common good'. If you advise an insurer that you are considering buying a vehicle not to their liking, obviously they will try to deter you. You can approach the Ombudsman if you are determined to seek cover with your insurer. The 'against common good' get out might work against you, if the insurer successfully argues that it would be irresponsible of them to enable a powerful vehicle being operated by someone not experienced enough to handle

Advertisement