Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a center fire rifle license

Options
  • 02-04-2024 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, long time firearm owner here, member of Courtlough.

As you know they ain't doing center fire rifle shooting there yet, I put a deposit down on a Howa 1500 .308 (good price) to apply for a license for it I need to join a center fire club also I take it? As I don't hunt It's for long range target shooting.

I'm sure this is quite an obvious answer just double checking.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Well since Courtlough isn't licenced for centrefires then shooting the 308 there would not be a good reason to own it, if shooting solely there.
    However explaining that they are expanding into CF in future(I think I am right on that front) and you intend on shooting it in other clubs which are licenced for centrefire(MNSCI, HH, etc) until that point would be perfectly fine and understandable.

Also, if you have any interest in hunting then a 308 is perfect for Irish deer breeds, and you may want to do your deer proficiency course with the 308, which would be another good reason(assuming you wish to go in a hunting direction that is).

And as far as long range target shooting there is only one civi range in the country where you can shoot over 300 meters, which is Midlands, and only doable by members there. Something to bear in mind if long range is really where you want to go.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭clivej

IMO...... Putting down that you 'intend' to go deer stalking, or you 'intend' to go target shooting is not a 'good reason'.

Best reason is Competition target shooting in open competitions held at ranges throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Thanks lads, great advice! I'll join a center fire club, and say I want to go competition shooting.

Thanks again!

Advertisement