Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there a particular type of usb-c cable for connecting from dock to monitor?

Options
  • 02-04-2024 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭

I have a surface dock connected to Samsung M7 monitor with a samsung usb-c cable, but the laptop isn't detecting the monitor.

I tried a usb-c to hdmi adapter from the same port on the dock to hdmi on the monitor and that works, but it's bugging me that the usb-c option isn't working (and as far as i know the monitor could be powered by usb-c too).

I think the samsung usb-c is for a phone - is there a particular type of usb-c cable for connecting from dock to monitor that i should get ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The USB-C cables do matter they may look alike but they are not.

So you have the monitor connected to the dock using a HDMI or Display Port cable?

You then need the correct USB-C cable from your laptop to the dock. Many docks have the cable hard wired so you cannot remove and replace it with the wrong type but assume yours is removable?

What is the exact dock model?

Are you connecting the monitor via HDMI or Display Port?

Also make sure you have the correct drivers installed. This is usually the version you want assuming your dock is 'Display Link' https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/windows

Advertisement