Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Latin masses in Wicklow or Carlow?

Options
  • 02-04-2024 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Couldn’t care less if they’re officially connected to the Catholic Church or not; I’m just tired of travelling an hour to go to Latin mass. Anyone know of anyone hosting Latin masses in Carlow or Wicklow? Even if it’s done somewhat secretly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rs232

Sorry , you’ve only got athlone and dun laoghaire haven’t you?

How’s the local ordinary btw, is there a chance if you ask that he will he just forget TC and allow more priests there to celebrate EF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coinboiii

The actual celebration of the Ordinary Form where I live is pretty bad. I can barley bring myself to go. I don’t have a problem with the Ordinary Form perse; I’ve seen it done reverently, in Latin and Ad Orientum (for example, at Brompton oratory in London), but I just find that the Novus Ordo is mostly done badly. However, I’ll see if somehow I can get some allowance for the TLM where I live.

I suppose the situation I see myself is there is more “diversity” of opinion in diocesan priests who say the new Mass, whereas those who say the Old will be those who have specifically decided to say it thus.

I hope some sanity is restored to the Church. It seems like it’s just like one catastrophy to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

In terms of SSPX in that vicinity Carlow, there's St Joseph's chapel in Kilkenny. Also Monkstown.

Kilkenny - St Joseph's Chapel

• Waterford Rd,
      Deansground
      Kilkenny
      Co. Kilkenny
      R95 RR27
      Ireland
    • Phone: +353 1284 2206

Also St John the Evangelist near Monkstown at the below address. Masses every day, usually twice daily.

St John the Evangelist Chapel

• Mounttown Road Lower
      Mounttown, Glenageary
      Co. Dublin
      A96 P793
      Ireland
    • Phone: +353 1 284 22 06
    • E-mail us

In respect of diocesan TLM, there's a Sunday Sung Mass in St Patrick's church (St. Patrick's Church, College Road, Walkinslough, Kilkenny, Ireland) in Kilkenny, 5 pm. St Joseph's church in Newtownmountkennedy has a Saturday Mass at 11am. Obviously there's St Kevin's church in Dublin which has had daily TLM since 1984 when the Heenan Indult became universal.

Glenageary, that’s the one. Don’t know why I said Dun Laoghaire. Would love to go up there again. Maybe for Corpus Christi.

We should do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 coinboiii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

St John the Evangelist Chapel

• Mounttown Road Lower
      Mounttown, Glenageary
      Co. Dublin
      A96 P793
      Ireland

Now Mounttown mightn't always be located in Glenageary, for in my mind it's just outside Monkstown and above Dun Laoghaire. I copied the address and that's what it showed. A pub P McCormack & Sons is nearby. It's also fairly near Monkstown Castle (a manor of St Mary's Abbey, the Cistercian house on the junction of Capel and Abbey St which like other houses in Dublin or other cities were typically only Irish monasteries suppressed under Henry VIII).

Advertisement