Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch part exchange in Europe

Options
  • 02-04-2024 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi folks,

Quick question, I am looking to part exchange 2 watches against a purchase from a dealer in Belgium I would plan on flying over with my two watches, do the deal and fly back. Would there be any issues flying over with the 2 watches. I'd plan to wear the new purchase home and carry the box as hand luggage.

Is there any issues with this around customs etc, seeing that it's within the EU I don't see any.

Thanks

Post edited by jagcon1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jagcon1

Hi I have updated this thread, as I'm looking at Europe.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In Europe, as in any of the other 26 EU states, no additional VAT or charges would apply. Anywhere outside the EU, VAT at 23% would be levied. If travelling from the UK as an example, you entered the green channel, and the watch was queried? You would be liable to VAT and potentially additional fine for making a false declaration as choosing the green lane is a defacto customs declaration.

Of course if one was to purchase an expensive item outside the EU? One would of course use the red channel...

On your earlier question regarding taking watches out of Ireland and into UK? That's a very complicated question. The right way would be an amalgam of carnet and declarations IMO.

I don't know how the exchange of your 2 watches for a single watch of similar value would be treated if you were unlucky enough to get a tug? But I would imagine Revenue would see the exchange as chargeable for VAT, I don't think the UK has a zero VAT scheme for foreign shoppers yet, so you could well end up with VAT in UK and on import to IRE.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jagcon1

Thanks Banie01,

Appreciate your reply. I have decided to go ahead and do a deal with a European dealer in Belgium. I'll fly over with the watches and pick up the new one.

So as its within the EU theres no issues with travelling with the 2 watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No issues at all once within the EU. Please share a photo of 2 of what you trade for over on the photos thread.

Safe travels👍

Advertisement