Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Poor Drainage

Options
  • 02-04-2024 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I posted here before about the same problem but now only getting around to it. My garden ( 57 sqm ), when it rains, becomes squish and mud, and the water can pool for a couple of days. We have two dogs and the grass growth isn't great but I am looking to fix the issue of poor drainage. I found a local place that sells Horticultural Grit. I plan to cut the grass, scarifier and aerate before putting a top layer of the sand grit down and reseeding in the hope it improves the quality of soil and drainage.

Any other advice or options from someone here who has done similar?

Post edited by Klopp on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 trindade

I have a similar issue. I fixed partially, I removed a good amount of soil and added stones (bought 3 tones of stones). I still have grass in some area of my garden, so I added a fence. But to be honest I am very frustrated with this, my dogs cannot enjoy the grass and walking over the stones is not that fun.

I plan to pay someone to replace the lawn with artificial lawn…

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I have dug down a bit and the soil is very muddy with the rain water slowly draining away. I don't want to dig it all up. I was hoping if I Scarfiier and Aerated and then put down 3 tones of sand grit and reseed the garden it would improve the drainage and the grass thickness. I contacted a Landscaper but so far a no-show and I am not holding out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The soil type maybe mitigate against good drainage so the grit exercise might be a waste if time.

My go to in these cases, which may not work here, is to dig a decent trench , maybe 600 by 600, along the low side of the garden and fill it with stones, no fines, and then cover with geotex and grass over it.

In extreme cases I fit a vertical sump, using land drain, with the option for a submersible pump to pump it out if it fills.

Where you pump it to depends on where you live

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Do that and the water will just stay on top of your nice layer of green plastic

Advertisement