Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Shed Circuit.

Options
  • 01-04-2024 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭

I have just had my fuseboard upgraded and 25sq tails installed as part of a solar pv install. I want to upgrade the circuit currently running to my shed. It has what I think is a 2.5sq flexi which powers a double socket and a light. It is currently connected to a 20A breaker on the house CU. I have a spare 32A breaker on the board, plus a few blanks.

I plan to refit the shed as a mini workshop with a double and a single socket, an LED light and some LED garden lights. I will only be using the shed to power a fridge/freezer and a couple of power tools. I will have solar of about 1.6kWp north facing connected to the circuit later. My plan is to run 6sq SWA or steel conduit with 6sq T&E from the CU to the the shed. The electrician will make the connection to the CU, but I want to be sure I am getting my side right.

I will install an incomer CU. I'm looking at a hager unit that comes with a 40A RCD. What should I fill it with? I am thinking:

• 20A MCB for the sockets
    • 6A MCB for the lighting circuit
    • 10A MCB to cover the solar. The solar will have AC and DC isolation.
    • Have the electrician change the spare 32A MCB in the the main CU to a 40A MCB before connecting the circuit to power.

Does that sound about right, or am I over doing it?

Stay Free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Ya won't get any REC to be connecting up your work. It's illegal anyhow to work on boards yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Last week, I would have agreed with you. Very hard at least. The REC who installed my new CU will be happy to for a fee as long as the work is done correctly and easy to access for inspection. I won't be doing anything illegal and the REC will be the one at the CU. I'll just be preparing everything up to that point. I thought I had made that clear enough in the OP. I am hoping someone can look at my plans and tell me if I am going about it the right way, rather than debating the legalities of running a few cables without actually touching the CU.

Stay Free

Why compromise the electrical installation by diying a section of the wiring

Presumably you don't know anything about the wiring rules ?

Have you looked at the OP? Currently, the existing circuit is already "compromised". I plan to upgrade the circuit and have a shed CU with proper isolation and final inspection and connection by a REC. Are you a REC, or someone who just joined up with a fresh account to be a troll?

As I am not a REC, I am not intimate with all the rules and regulations, but what I do know is that there is nothing illegal about what I am doing unless and until I attempt to connect the new circuit to the house CU. This is clear from my OP, so with respect, if you have nothing more than high faux high horsery to contribute, I would ask you kindly move onto another thread and spread your knowledge of electrical circuits and legal arguments there, because you are not making the safe contribution you think you are here.

Stay Free

Im pointing out the obvious

Ya come on here for a shopping list and think you're good to go

No training required

• Advertisement

So, no, you're not a REC and don't actually know what you're talking about.

Input from those who know what they are talking about is very welcome.

Stay Free

Like I said I'm pointing out the obvious

You think ya just need a shopping list and ya put it together like a jigsaw puzzle

You're assumptions on the best method are incorrect anyhow

I would appreciate it if you refrain from being a díck. You have knowingly and wantonly misrepresented what I was looking for and sabotaged my thread with shíte talk. Grow up.

Stay Free

Something like that is suitable

Has DP incommer and SPD fitted

Space for 5 lewden rcbos

Advertisement