Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Social&Fun] Siteban/disputing warnings in CA

Options
  • 01-04-2024 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Evening all.

I'm just back from an extended 4 to 5 week holiday courtesy of Ten of Swords.

Over 10 days between Feb 16th and 26th he/she issued several warnings in different threads each time for a different reason, and eventually obviously sitebanned me.

I felt at the time that most of the warnings were unwarranted and the reasons given were reaching and tenuous. Possibly one was genuinely warranted. A full siteban was not.

I replied to two of the PMs sent to me (snippily in one case) but without further reply to my simple request for clarity in the second, I just left it, and tried to keep out of trouble. Big mistake on my part. The final flurry of warnings and sudden banning seemed to come together.

Given that I have already Pmd back this mod without reply I won't be starting another round of that.

What I would like is if a CMod or Admin (obviously not Ten of Swords) could review the group of interactions as a whole and give a view on the justice or otherwise of the actions taken by the mod.

Clearly there is no possibility of reversing the siteban now that it has expired, but I would accept an acknowledgement that the series of warnings and total siteban was a total overreaction, and not commensurate with any offences.

I will respect whatever the outcome.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are you referring to the ones from the various CA threads?

The siteban was an automatically applied one, once a sufficient amount of unexpired warning points was accrued. It wasn't done by a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Packrat

Yes. I'm not aware of any other ones.

I see. The mod in question would have been able to see the effect of multiple warnings in such a short time period.

I think the reasons given for most were tenuous.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've amended the title to make it cleared then.

@ancapailldorcha are you available to review?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I am.

Packrat, is there a specific warning you wish to dispute? This usually works on the basis of one thread per sanction.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Yes. As per my OP, - all of the ones which led to my siteban in the date range 16th to 26th by Ten of Swords.

They have to be looked at as a group because I'm attempting to establish that he/she became annoyed/angry with me, picked a few posts and issued warnings which were unwarranted particularly ones carrying multiple points to get the job done faster.

Starting a DR thread for each one would be pointless and a waste of Cmod/Admin time as well as diluting my argument.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fair enough. Can you post the exchange between you and Ten of Swords?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The beginning of this was actually on Feb 15th, apologies.

Attaching that one here which I didn't respond to.

This one on the 26th was the clincher which got me autobanned.

In no way whatsoever is this actionable not to mind giving 2 points for it.

• Advertisement

This which led to the previous one just above.

Look at the level of what I was responding to - smug mockery of a publicly humiliated and hurt community.

Hi Packrat,

Just letting you know that I have not forgotten about this. I'll get back to you today hopefully.

H. H. Asquith

No problem. Thank you. It's a bit of a web to unentangle.

Hi,

I've looked through the warnings you incurred from the 15th February onwards and I think that they're all merited. You've adopted an aggressive, uncivil tone across all of these and, frankly, I don't know why the moderators did not escalate.

Going forward, I would advise you to reconsider your posting style, particularly your proclivity for getting personal with other posters.

Let me know if you want an admin to review this.

H. H. Asquith

Ok. Just to be clear: So all were warranted and points given at the correct rate?

Not all were for being uncivil though. The trolling one?? I fail to see trolling in it and it certainly wasn't uncivil or abusive as it wasn't addressed to any poster. How was it merited?

The one on the 26th I'm really confused about because it says "abusive" and is for 2 points yet nobody is abused in any way in the wording. The worst thing in it was asking the poster if English was their first language given that they had referenced stuff I never said in their previous post and it wasn't entirely clear what they were accusing me of.

If you can clear up what's wrong with those two in particular and why the second one warranted 2 points then I'll leave this appeal go, - I didn't start it to be vexatious and don't claim to be any sort of angel. I don't suppose another admin review will find any differently.

Hi,

For the comment on the 26th, insinuating that English isn't someone's first language is nothing more than a snide comment, particularly given the context.

The trolling one is just a blithe comment dismissing the assault and doesn't add anything to the thread.

You can either escalate to an admin review or leave it at that.

H. H. Asquith

Ok. I'll leave it then. Your last response is not a good faith answer. You know it, I know it and anyone reading it or the 2 particular comments it refers to can see it. It could be more simply paraphrased as "I'm backing my colleague to the hilt no matter what, and if you want an admin to tell you the same thing then have at it"

It's particularly disappointing given the supposed transparency of mods and newfound willingness to engage being espoused in the 'Graveyard' thread.

Thank you for your time and timeliness in responding to this. That at least is something.

This can be closed now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement