Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this FTTH setup permissible?

Options
  • 01-04-2024 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭

I have a CAT6 cable (only used until now for VDSL, so just the blue pair) going from the hall, where the ONT is, into the living room which is where I want the best Wifi signal to be, and where most of my wired devices are. That'd be the bottom of this diagram.

Currently I'm getting a failed connection on wire 8 and it's not possible to replace this cable, hopefully just punching down harder in the keystones will sort it but if not I'm going to have to come up with an alternative wiring plan, which will look like the above.

Does the router (FRITZ Box) have to be the first device the ONT sees, or can everything be connected in any order as long as it's all gigabit capable?

Life ain't always empty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Passive switch might be the wrong terminology here, I mean unmanaged.

The Fritz Box is acting as a DHCP server and should work in that regard, but it also has firewall functions so I'd imagine connections need to go 'through' it for that to work.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dont think so. Its WAN connection on Fritz and all devices before it wont be on your LAN

For WiFi - you could have dedicated AP at any branch for best experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You might be able to get it to work in a horrible sort of way, the ont traffic should be vlan tagged so shouldn't interact with the other devices but I'm not sure if the fritz box will let you mix wan and lan configs on the same port.

If it won't and you absolutely are stuck with that wiring you could get a managed vlan capable switch in place of the fritz, set that port to trunk mode with vid 10 allowed and pvid something else, the fritz wan port the same, and its lan port as an access port with its vid set to that something else.

You'd immediately halve your local bandwidth though, you'd be better off putting the router next to the ont and buying a new access point for the room.

@TheChizler
    Interesting proposal, perhaps over-complicated for domestic setup and unclear if even supported by fritz.
    Dont seem to be able to locate info if fritz WAN/LAN port can be used in both modes simultaneously, do see that it can be set as WAN or LAN exclusive on some models
    Dont seem to be able to locate info if fritz LAN support vlan/pvid configuration, not from GUI anyhow

@Hotblack Desiato
    What model is fritz?

Wire #8 have to be resolved as it will degrade that link and anything from it to 100Mbps.
    In other thread you mention crimp tool "breaking" #1 pin(cant even imagine how is this possible), could it be that #8 pin just not pushed deep enough to make contact, or is it keystone punch?

You'd immediately halve your local bandwidth though, you'd be better off putting the router next to the ont and buying a new access point for the room.

Yeah, I'm thinking put the Fritz box where the first switch in the diagram is, and get a mesh repeater for the living room if I have to, like this

https://digiweb.ie/product/fritz-3000-repeater/

This is all plan B of course, hopefully I'll be able to get all four pairs of the existing cable working.

The Fritz box is a 7530AX by the way.

I got the plugs crimped OK in the end (took four attempts at each end) and that cable tests OK. The cable causing trouble has a keystone at each end, I haven't had the chance to look at it again yet. Both ends are a bit awkward to get at.

BTW I mistakenly ordered CAT5e patch cables, everything else is CAT6, I don't think that would be a problem? Just a few cents more for the CAT6 patch cables, but I didn't notice until after the order went through 🙄

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Agreed, I've never used one so can't comment on its capabilities, simpler is definitely better if it suits the person buying the equipment!

OK I remade the connection at one keystone and cable now works perfectly.

I have the Fritz box in the living room and getting the full 500Mbit.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Life ain't always empty.

CAT5e patch will serve just fine for your needs and what your gear does support(1000Mbps) for several years.

If you intend to run fresh links go for CAT6/CAT6a

You have your WiFi solution

Advertisement