Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner driver car insurance...

Options
  • 31-03-2024 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I'm 33 and currently on a learners permit, I'm awaiting my test and have decided to buy a car to practice in, something manageable in the range of 1-1.2 liter, I'm planning on going out to a mechanic to see if he can source something for me.

I'm looking to pay about 4000 for the car but I'm wondering if someone could give me a ball park figure on what id be expecting to pay for insurance.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EvanOD

My sister in law was 29 on her L’s and paid i think 2.1k for her first car insurance, was a 1.4 petrol from what i remember. Your age will definitely give you a decent drop in price, i paid €2.9k for my first car on my L’s (im 17).

The age of the car is also a huge part, you don’t want to be trying to insure something too old

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

Get an automatic. You'll pass first time.

Within the next 3/4 years most cars will be automatic.

Look at popping down to Merlin auctions for a car. This is where large garages sell trade ins and where small garages buy their stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

What's too old? my budget is around 4000, maybe 5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They've been saying that manual gear shift is dead for the past 30-40 years. If you go to places like Spain and want to rent a small runaround, you will find that most of the rental fleet are manuals so you will need a licence to drive a manual car.

I just checked Europcar for a rental from Lanzarote airport for 7 days beginning on a random date in May. Without specifying any preferences in terms of passenger capacity, number of doors etc., there was a choice of 8 cars. Until I clicked on the 'transmission' option and selected automatic. No cars available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

People have been saying that here for at least 15 years now. Why limit yourself? Just learn to drive manual. If you can't pass the test, then you shouldn't be driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 EvanOD

In my personal experience i get fucked insuring anything older than 2008, i either won’t get quoted with certain companies or it’ll be sky high. A lot of cars older than 2008 tend to have a hefty tax too, but with your budget you should be able to get a nice fiesta or something for learning in👍 just always get quotes before purchasing!

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

All EVs are automatic and very easy to get automatic options in virtually every model of car for the past 10+ years.

I'm driving 40 years this year, over 30 have been automatic. Even when renting the auto option is available everywhere I've gone.

Only non auto recently was when I rented a van.

It's just for the OP, when you get into 30's it is proven that learning to drive actually becomes more difficult, hence looking at auto option likely gets the full license in first try and therefore cheaper insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

Op my sons girlfriend (22) passed her test a week ago. Bought a 10 reg Audi A3 1.6 yesterday for just over €4k. Insurance with parent and my lad as named drivers was €980.. which is v good, other nearest quote was €1600ish. That's with 1 yr NCB as named driver.

Forget getting something in Merlin's imo. If you have someone to check the car with you then private sales from DD is better option.

Re auto or manual.. most stuff is auto now, or available in auto, but learn manual. You will probably at some stage need that skill. To add to a previous poster re rental cars.. yes autos may be available, but less quantity, and always more expensive.. I'm in Spain this week, 7 days in a little Renault Clio was €48. An auto was double.

Good luck with your lessons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'm a 43 year old learner and went with Revolut Insurance. Far cheaper than anyone. €1500 for the year, for my `09 Nissan Note, payable monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Auto options are available alright, but limits you if you are looking at the second hand market.

As you said, you couldn't get an auto van to rent. Another limitation. (I had an automatic van myself for years)

I've friends with auto only licence, and they've got caught out with rentals abroad in the past.

Just because something gets more difficult, doesn't mean you should take a shortcut to a lesser outcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement