Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Genome - films not shown for a long time

Options
  • 31-03-2024 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the BBC Genome and found that it is almost exactly thirty years since The Quiet Earth was shown on BBC2. 21st March 1994. This film, although flawed, means a lot to me partly because the day after it was shown on BBC2, I came into school bursting to tell someone about it. Told a friend and he had seen it too and was "meh" about it but we discussed it anyway. Years later, that lad took his own life and everytime I think of the film, I also think of him.

Another film that I liked that hasn't been shown since 1991 is Electra Glide in Blue.

I'd say many of the Moviedrome films and films from the BBC 100 Season in 1995 have not been shown since. Obviously they could have been shown on satellite and other channels but usually I find that if one (terrestrial) UK channel has a film, other UK channels won't have it.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mmmmm…interesting. I always had it in my head that 'Phase IV' was shown on Moviedrome in the 80's when I first saw it. Turns out it wasn't.

It's funny looking up Moviedrome broadcasts, brings back a lot of memories sitting down to watch a film with my old man.

Advertisement