Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking quarterly fees

Options
  • 31-03-2024 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭

What is normal each quarter?

I hardly ever use an ATM or my debit card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm with AIB and have a mortgage with them so get refunded. But the last 2 were €23 and €28. Don't use the ATM either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I think chip and pin use of card and contact less has a fee.

I was charged €28 but refunded due to mortgage also with AiB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My quarterly fee was about €9, but then I am stingy.

I have as few as possible direct debits, think it's 3 regular, and use the ATM inside branches to withdraw the max limit of €1,500 in cash which I use for payments wherever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

AIB is a rip-off as they charge for everything little thing.

The rest have a set fee per month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

having your mortgage with AIB and no fees is a nice touch . Small beer compared to the mortgage but at least no niggily fee statement every quarter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Credit union, €12 per quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you can put up with no mobile app and a website which is not mobile-friendly, there are no charges for an EBS Money Manager account. It's good for direct debits and online transfers and you will get a contactless ATM/debit card. Which is not supported by Google Wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

std monthly 6 euro with BOI regardless of transactions/usage etc … 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Has anyone moved to revolut full time to avoid these fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

BOI - Price of a pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

If you want Google/Apple Pay you can get a https://www.curve.com/en card and link it to your EBS card. Another option is to just use EBS to top up your Revolut card.

Setting up a standing order is via a PDF which can be emailed other than that I'm pretty happy with EBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Yes. I use Revolut for our joint account as of last month. Going to close off our PTSB account this month.

I use N26 as my own current account and pay for it as i like the 8 different spaces with their own IBAN to seperate out different direct debits for things etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No. Way too risky. It's fine for a second account and they offer some good functionality but they don't have any support for when their automation inevitably fails. Too many horror stories (look at the reddit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

N26 as a main account, and Revolut as a backup. I opened an AIB account last year to cash a cheque, then I closed it the following week.

No issues with N26 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

AIB is my main account and last quarter fees were ~ €15. 3 direct debits, and debit card used only for cash maybe twice a month. Otherwise everything goes on the credit card and is paid off monthly.

For tap, N26 for daily stuff (topped up from AIB once a month), or credit card for more expensive stuff (all via google pay)

Small balance in Revolut, just for splitting bills when out or sending money for birthdays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

A non current account in credit union is very handy for counter transactions eg cashing cheques, taking out cash, lodging cash and opening hours til 5pm and Sat mornings with no fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Invincible

Ptsb sent out letter today advising their quarterly fees would increase from €18 to €24 effective 25/06. I only noticed on the app over weekend that they've taken €18 in December and March, previously there was no charge on my account. Time to move bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

PTSB used to charge 6 pm, but you could get 5 back if you used debit card 50 times @ 10 cent each.

So it could cost as little as 1 per month.

Now the 6 pm is increasing to 8 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

I'm with BOI and pay a fixed fee of €6 a month. They used to have free fees if you kept your bank balance above a certain amount, but they abandoned that a while back. I also pay overdraft interest and an annual overdraft facility fee of €30 per annum, but neither is applicable if you don't need or have an overdraft. In which case, congratulate yourself for your prudent and sensible financial management.

If you do have a small overdraft, my advice is pay it off as soon as you can, and cancel the facility, you get screwed on the interest (though granted, not as badly as if you let a credit card balance run). Alternatively take out a small short term personal loan to repay the o/d. I would do same if I had the funds, currently on the dole so don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Invincible

That must be the Explore Current Account, they gave that as an option to convert to and say there is a flat €8 monthly account maintenance fee. I moved from AIB probably before 2000 and had fees waived always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

PTSB crucially also from this month have reduced the debit card cashback from 10 cent to 5 cent with a maximum of €5 cashback which is 100 card transactions which not many if anyone will ever do anyway

Explore account €2 fee increase plus 50% reduction in cashback is beyond an inflation busting piss taking increase. Someone making 30 debit card transactions in March would be paying €3 net fees, now in April you are paying €6.50 net fees

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fido_dido

Does BOI give free banking to mortgage holders?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 melchior1951

Advertisement