Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basset hound

Options
  • 31-03-2024 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I've recently loss my 8 year old Basset lab cross. I would love to get a similar dog but can't seem to find any Basset hound breeders in Ireland. Does anybody know of any reputable breeders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lazerai

Hi Jennie

I have a 5 year old Basset hound terrier Cross that unfortunately we need to rehome due to a significant change in circumstances. It breaks my heart as he is the sweetest boy. If you would be interested please let me know and we can connect.

Thanks

Lauren

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jennie Stafford

Hi Lauren. Thanks for replying to me. I have a 13 year old dog at home so I was hoping to get a pup as I'd be wary of introducing another adult dog.. I really hope you have luck in rehoming your dog.. Its a hard thing to have to do

Thanks Jennie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d question introducing a pup to a 13 year old dog as a pup will drive them mad. I got a pup when my boy was 12 because we had lost our younger dog and he missed her so much.. but it was a lot of hard work keeping the pup away from him and giving him space and time out to rest and just not be bothered by an annoying puppy. I had a baby gate in our tiny hall for a good 6 months to separate it out so my older boy could rest there without the pup bothering him (the hall was his snoozing spot). I had a buggy for my old boy too so we could get out together for a walks but pup had seperate walks on his own once he was old enough. It’s hard work so I’d think carefully about turning your dog’s world upside down. I have 2 friends with bassets and my friend’s female hated the pup(!) - she was only 7 at the time.

Edited to add also… my youngster was completely devastated when my old boy died to the point he wasn’t eating and didn’t want to be on his own.

Post edited by tk123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jennie Stafford

Thanks for the advice.. Really don't know what to do for the best.. I was afraid if I introduced an older dog they mighnt get along.. My 13 year old fella is lost😢

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Your hesitation is understandable, though I think you get a far better idea of how your dog's relationship with another dog will pan out, with another adult dog.

Not only do you not know what you're going to end up with when you get a pup, chances are that you'll realistically be inflicting a pup on your older dog... chances are that your older dog, as well as you, will be mithered by a pup, and to prevent it all becoming too much will take a LOT of supervision, management, and intervention on your part. And managing pup around your older dog will be over and above the bloody hard work that pups are, in and of themselves!

It's a lot easier to gauge how an adult dog is going to be around your own dog. Ideally, you'd try to meet other dogs that are up for adoption that also come with a known history of how they are with other dogs. You'll obviously gravitate towards those that love, love, love other dogs, and that have a track record for being nice and mannerly around other dogs.

You might even be able to not only meet and greet the potential newbie a few times, and take him/her home for a trial period.

Hopefully this helps, definitely don't write off the idea of getting an adult dog!

• Advertisement
Advertisement