Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, asking the contractor for changes?

Options
  • 30-03-2024 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey everyone,

We recently purchased a new build and its still in the process of being built, and due for completion some time around July, we paid the 10% deposit now, and I've got a few changes in mind (mostly just sockets and to change the placement of the pipes for the washing machine. The estate agent has not been the most helpful, insisting that all homes in the development are standard and that they can't accommodate any modifications.

Has anyone here had any luck negotiating changes directly with the building contractor? Also, what are the chances of the builder willing to install tiles if we bring them to them and pay them for the labor to install tiles as the home only comes with tiling done in the showers and sinks?

I'd appreciate any insights on navigating this!

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The estate agent is a middle man. He has no say. He needs to put you in touch with the person who can decide, or get out if the way.

The builder may be willing to make a few small changes. Especially if immaterial to his scope of works. But strictly speaking it’s not up to the builder either. It’s up to the developer who has contracted the builder (and estate agent etc).

Sometimes the builder is the developer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if it’s one if the bigger developers probably no chance.
    a smaller builder / developer maybe more accommodating but I’d say your overall changes are low

The estate agent maybe the middleman but chances are they have been asked this 100s of times before with the same answer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you maybe able to get one of the site lads to do a nixer but you’d have no come back if anything went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 IAmAndy

Yeah, fair thank you for the responses! I did ask just for the contact details of the developer/contractor but that's when the estate agent said no, they could not give that out as all houses are built as standard. I believe the builder is the developer on this as well. It's not one of the major companies. They're also local to where they're building the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you can find the site foreman and build a good relationship there, that would be a good starting point. In our experience (which is several decades ago, in fairness), the foreman found it a lot harder to say no to a woman than to a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Iodine1

Changing the spec, moving sockets etc all involves time and that adds cost and hold ups, hence the reluctance to change anything.

Advertisement