Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull cord shower switch

Options
  • 30-03-2024 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

This shower switch isn't working, and I've gotten a replacement from Screwfix.

Is it a straightforward swap? Any tips?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Obviously turn it off at the board. I'd strip the cables back to expose new copper and snip off the ends, sometimes the copper strands can get damaged when the terminal is tightened/released a few times. Make sure you use the correct size flat head driver. Too small and it can damage the screw. Make sure the terminal screws are tight.

Other than that it should be like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yes, I will turn off all the MCB switches and take picture of wiring before unscrewing.

Could I ask if any part needs to be removed from the other side of the roof? (The other side is attic).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If your isolation switch is the one in the photo & you bought the exact same then no wiring involved at all. That isolation switch twists off leaving a section with the wiring still in place

• Advertisement

Thanks all. It's sorted and working well.

Last question, could I leave the this switch on all the time? Would it cause heating up of the element?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

I leave mine on 24/7. It's an isolator for the shower. Nothing is heating up until you press the power button on the shower unit itself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

yes, leave on 24/7 is fine, replacement switch will last a lot longer than regularly operating, is it a relatively new build? Make sure you’ve tightened the connections as much as you can & then some

Yes, 2020 built.

All wires are tightened. There is a slight gap (2-3mm) between the roof and this newly installed switch. Is there a sealant that I could use?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fire officer recommends turning off the isolation switch when shower is not in use. You'll need to replace the switch more often but much less chance of the shower going on fire. This happens far more often than people realise. I'd personally see it a few times a year as a shower repair company

• Advertisement
Advertisement