Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small greenhouses

Options
  • 30-03-2024 12:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭

does anyone have advice or recent experience on buying greenhouses? we're looking to invest in one so are obviously curious about anywhere which has display ones you can inspect.

it'll be going in most likely near the back of th house, and the back is west facing; it's 11am now and the sun is just reaching the candidate location. the area available means about 1.7m x 2m would be about optimum for us.

we did see a very sturdy one yesterday, made by adman steel sheds, on display at jones's garden centre near donabate, but that was a bit rich for our blood - over €1.5k for the smallest one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I got a vitavia greenhouse 2 years ago from a1greenhouses. Highly recommend them, they were very helpful and on the button with the purchase and delivery. Id been messed about with another well known supplier previously.

I love the greenhouse and I don't have any complaints with it, so on that id recommend vitavia. I bought it online so I don't know if they have any showroom.

Greenhouses are expensive at the moment though. The one I got is now about €600 more expensive, but if you get a good quality one it should last you a life time. Kinda buy good buy once.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

This is the one I have (6' x 6'), it's gone up in price since I bought it in 2019 but I love it very much. I went with green/safety glass so it can be cheaper if you don't do that. Do pick up an automatic window opener too.

https://www.lenehans.ie/the-6ft-wide-apollo-greenhouse-range-with-low-threshold-access.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Deub

I would recommend to do a cheap one for this year. Buy some wood and screws and do a quick frame that you can remove for winter.

I am saying this because there is no point spending money if the location doesn’t suit what you want to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Seconded on the auto window openers! Not that expensive and worth every penny, especially if whatever greenhouse you get has high up windows as mine does. Id need a ladder to open and close by hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I got a 10x6 free last year after putting an ad up on the local Facebook page.
    Aluminium frame, I had to dismantle it myself and take it away but it wasn’t too difficult.
    It’s cost me around €200 in extra bits to get it perfect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement