Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH install ???

Options
  • 30-03-2024 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭

I have copper broadband at up to 100mb speed.
    I have renewed my eir contract to go with ftth 500mb plan.
    What is any new wiring will need to be done?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

New fibre optic cable from a DP on a nearby pole or chamber outside, to an ONT located inside the house, near to a power socket. The ONT converts the optical signal to an electrical signal.

The router is then connected to the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Telegraph pole literally 30 feet from my house is where the present cable comes from. It enters my house through the soffit and into the attic, runs across the attic into my hot press where there is a connection box of some sort. Then down into my living room where the phone point is.
    Do you think they will follow that route?
    Don't want any hole drilled in outer walls or cables running down them.

You can discuss how the cable will be run with the installer on the day.

Some installers won't go into the attic, health and safety related.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hijacking this - there's what appears to be FTTH boxes on the poles along the road where I live for a couple of months now but no info about whether or when it's available. The eir site still says they can deliver up to 100mb. Anywhere I can ask to find out if and when it's available?

It appears eir can be slow to update their address file. Check your eircode with other retail providers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

OpenEir usually updates availability records once a month. You can't really query availability unless you have the neighbor who was connected to it but you were excluded. Then they will be willing to check what's up with that.

Otherwise if nobody in the area has FTTH then they'll just give a generic response that FTTH is being built but is not yet active in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Installed today.
    Tech guy was super obliging and ran the cable through the attic and into the hot press.
    Switchover was withing 20 minutes. Went for the 500mb package as I don't think I would be getting any feeding faster than that.
    All in all a great job.

Advertisement