Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night use electric in vacant property

Options
  • 29-03-2024 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

A vacant property I am selling is using 1kw on night time meter. I know its a small use per day but annualised equal 400kw. This is quite a lot where there is no obvious use.

The main fuse off, everything is switched off anyway, and there is no daytime use at all. Nobody is accessing the property.

I had another property also vacant before it was sold and there was no nightime consumption in the same circumstances.

Is it the night time meter timer that is using power (seems a lot) ? If not, what else could be drawing power on the night circuit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

How do you mean on the 'night meter'? Does the same consumption not happen over the course of the full day?

If the main fuse is off then it implies that it's either a faulty meter, parasitic connection not passed through the main fuse (such as a load connected at the meter) or a circuit which is routed to another premises. An electrician should be able to confirm whether the meter is at fault by testing using a clamp meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thanks for your input @10-10-20

There are two meters recording use. One for night time (during specified hours) and another for the rest of day.

Only night meter is showng consumption. I hear what you say about a parasitic connection. At 1kw per day its unlikely to be anything deliberate. Its just odd.

The last 4 months will show the property is vacant. The last bill showing only 90kw for night use. Zero day use.

Can I request ESB Networks check the meter is not faulty?

Maybe the problem will disappear when upgraded to smart meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

could the esbn clock be stuck and you are in fact recording both day and night usage at the night rate.
    are you reading the meters yourself

Turn off both main switches (if you have one for nsh also)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

There is only one main switch on the board. I assume this knocks everything off. In any event, non-use should be possible. All switches, booster pump, immersion and heaters are powered off.

Back in September and October there was day use recorded. I am not reading the meter myself, however, the last two readings were actual, not estimated. There should be no night time use in either bill, but there is. I am baffled.

Even if there is a background night time meter timer, I could not see how it consumes 400kw p.a. Thats a third of my own homes use for no obvious reason. I will contact ESBN to check the meter is not faulty.

Advertisement