Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB 29x2.10 Tyre Recommendations

Options
  • 29-03-2024 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

I got the following a Maxxis CrossMark II Folding Tire-Dual | EXO TR and within two years its looking like needs changing

I have to say I am surprised as people have said oh maxxis is a great brand and I don’t do a lot of cycling, mostly road etc, but nice to have the option to go off road and not worry about it

I don’t know if Decathlon would be an option

https://www.decathlon.ie/?prod_en%5Bquery%5D=29%20mtb%20tyre&prod_en%5BrefinementList%5D%5Bnature%5D%5B0%5D=Tyre&prod_en%5BrefinementList%5D%5Bsize%5D%5B0%5D=29%22

As far as I can see the front one is ok, it’s on since I got the bike seven years ago, a Michelin Country Grip'R, but not sure if best to change together as on it a long time

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Gerry

It is a bit surprising to only get 2 years from a rear tyre, I'd normally get 3 or 4 from what are fairly soft schwalbe tyres. Not familiar with the crossmark.

If the front doesnt look worn or excessively crashed or perished I wouldnt go replacing it yet. I'd use some of the money saved to buy something a bit better for the back.

Does the bike mostly get used on road or mixture of off road and on?

I see the crossmark isnt really a budget tyre. I'd recommend schwalbe racing ralph for the rear and racing ray for the front. Can't say enough good about them. Fast on road and still excellent off road too.

Looking back for the receipt I've had them on the bike a year and a half and they look they'll do same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

I think what happened is on bike 24 you can only go back two years and I seen one tyre

But I forgot I got the same tyre for a fella I cycle with so that was his

So this one should be a few years, I have the bike seven years and this is the first tyre replacement

Both tyres

• Advertisement

Id almost always be on road, paths etc

But I went too maynooth today on the canal and some spinning out and waving then looking at them when having coffee

I was told on Reddit even at new the tyres wouldn't handle mud, but I don't want to buy tyres for mud as hardly on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

You can tell your mainly road riding at a high pressure.

Drop the pressure on the rear and use it for another year.

I've 60 (old pump) on the back as I'm about twenty stone and you can see it flattens down a bit

I have the front at 40 as one of the lads said it's better to be lower as it guide's you etc

What would you suggest to drop down too?

If 40 is working on the front try it on the back,if the tyre feels like it's going to roll off the rim as you go around a corner add 5psi until it doesn't.

I'm hefty and would think 40psi is high (but I'm tubeless and wider tyres).

Oh and sometimes, no matter the tyre you'll spin out on mud.

Brilliant thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that and see how it goes, anything to make it faster as I know it gets faster not easier

I'm guessing that's the stock tyre size so would have to change the wheel if wanted to change width, if even needed

Yeah I think you're right, one of the reasons I didn't like the canal too maynooth, heading towards Cabra is better track etc

• Advertisement

No, there is a range of tyre width you can put on a rim, depending on internal width. And that's before we talk about rolling resistance.

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/rim-width-explained-for-road-bikes-mountain-bikes-and-gravel-bikes

Back in the day I had 2.35 on a 17mm, needed silly high pressure to keep it on.

There are charts that explain safe tyre width to internal rim width, third pint in, so can link another day if needed.

Definitely learning a lot here thanks

Looking forward to trying out the new pressure too see

Well i tried with my pump and seems to be on the way out, go too 40 a ss ss ss back down so cant get good reading

Got a lend and have it at 40 but feels hard, like i thought 60 was (if pump was ok then) hard

Would 30 be better or even 35? I am guessing the tyre should flex when pushing down on bike?

For MTB you want the tyre pressure low enough you can feel every leaf without the tyre squirming around the rim.

For the road it's similar but narrower rims need higher pressure.

As you are so heavy, the tyre can rapidly get squirrely at speed (at least, it does for me), so have a spin and only drop the pressure a little for the next spin (1-2 seconds max on the valve if the guage is unreliable). You'll know around the first half fast bend if you have gone too low.

I wouldn't go mega low as it'll damage the tyre carcass quicker (look for cracks on the shoulder of the tyre), and you just want some extra grip on muddier bits. Too low will also be a lot more effort at speed.

Out today on mostly road/path

30 front and 40 at the back

Felt faster for sure, so ill see with better weather coming

Thanks again for the help

Good to hear and no worries, enjoy the cycling!

Advertisement