Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic VR PC specs

Options
  • 29-03-2024 12:05pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm curious to get a Quest, but with it also a PC so I can play the likes of HL Alyx, some racing games, maybe MS Flight sim but i'd appreciate that that's unlikely given the budget.

I'm going basic/cheap on this. <€500 ideally, and I think it might be possible 2nd hand given some of the requirements stated for the games on Steam.

HL Alyx specs are:

• Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM

And i've been using https://www.userbenchmark.com/ to compare used spec PCs against those above. If parts are benchmarking similarly is that a safe enough bet that it'll perform similarly?

Am I on the right path, or would a PC of that spec just fail with VR?

Any thoughts/pointers/reality checks would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

No insights from anyone so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

That looks too basic. I have an original Rift that I use for racing games and I struggle to get high framerate.

I have Ryzen 5 3600, a RTX 2060 Super and 32GB of RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

€500 should be fine to get a 2nd machine to run VR for Alyx and similar but "racing sims" is a bit vague as some can be very demanding and VR also needs a high framerate, so the CPU and GPU have to be able to keep up.

Looking at Amazon you can build brand new a PC with Ryzen 5600, A520M, 16GB, 500GB nvme, 500w corsair PSU, MSI case and RX6600 for about €650.

Second hand €400-50 should get you something roughly similar in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD are bad buys for VR, you definitely want Nvidia even if it costs more.

Advertisement