Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing GU5.3(MR16) with GU10 Light Bulbs

Options
  • 29-03-2024 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I moved into a new place.

I have about 20 GU5.3 lights that I would like to change to GU10. The main reason is to have hue lights. I already have a number of hue spotlights that I'd like to install.

I understand that the current bulbs use transformers to step down to 12v.

Is it a big job to change the fittings? Could I do it myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭10-10-20

MR16, (GU5.3) have transformers alright. Wherever I have seen them installed it's never been a 100% straightforward job with insulation problems, earthing or the length of T&E cable an issue. But yes, you can usually replace them fine but you might need to earth the new GU10 lights as MR16 often don't have earthing, or it's disconnected, so you would need to instate that while doing the job.

I have often wired them up using a pre-boxed junction block and then run a short length of flexible cable such as the below out to the new GU10 light fitting.

https://www.eurosales.ie/products/debox.html?filter_set%5B%5D=4776,4777,4794,4796

Advertisement