Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY - mixer tap dripping - replacing the cartridge on an old tap?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I would just replace the tap, less messing about and guaranteed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It's a quick and easy job. A 14-year old tap isn't "retro" as far as the cartridges are concerned, so as long as you figure out whether it's a 40mm (most likely) or 35mm, buy one, drop it in, job done.

BUT before you start: how long has the tap been dripping, and are you in a hard-water area? If it's been dripping for a long time (months, or years) then the water may have carved out a groove in the seat under the catridge. If that's the case, then a new one won't stop the drip.

Yeah right! I fitted a brand spanking new tap in the kitchen the other week. It's been dripping from the get-go. Besides, replacing a tap is a whole level of plumbing hassle above swapping out a cartridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks for the replies. I think its worth trying to replace the cartridge if there are only two types. I thought there were loads of different types. Will buy one of each and keep the receipt for the one I dont use..

To explain exactly what's going on .....

The tap is OK if it's pushed firmly down and lever is pointing towards me.

1. If the tap lever is pointing left or right (and fully down) it triggers the water pump every 2 mins or so.

2. Unless the lever is pressed fully down and centered pointing towards me it drips slightly. Enough to trigger the water pump.

Has been like this for quite a while.

I fear it will shorten the water pumps life and it's annoying hearing the water pump start, hum and then auto off every two mins until the wuirky tap position is corrected.

Replacing tap is beyond my skill level and may be necessary but the cartridge swap could be just the job

Will check the hot and cold water supply are off and the house insurance has flood cover before I start :-)

Instead of ordering two and sending one back, I'd recommend doing a "practice run" first and measuring the one that's in there. Unless the fitting is caked with limescale, it's one of the easiest DIY jobs:

(1) turn off the water supply;

(2) remove that little stud under the lever (see your first pic) using a small screwdriver (as found in precision sets, sewing machines, jewellery boxes, etc)

(3) identify the screw hidden beneath, unscrew it, lift off the lever (pull straight up)

(4) lift out the cartridge (there may be a second screw holding it in place)

That's it. Now you'll be able to check the cartridge for any obvious damage, measure it, etc; and also have a look into the body of the tap to see if there's any obvious damage or grooving there.

You'll see that the standard cartridge has two nubs on the bottom - these make sure the cartridge can only fit one way, so once you've finished studying it, drop it back in, lock it into place if necessary, put the lever back on, screw that into place, and turn the supply back on to confirm that everything's working. Don't bother putting the stud back until you've finished the whole process - it's often the most fragile part.

• Advertisement

Hi Celtic Rambler.

Thanks for the detailed how to ...

Got to stage 3 and removed the hex screw bolt.

The lever refuses to budge upward away from the main body. I've sprayed in WD40 and poured boiling water over the tap.

It so stubborn like there is something else holding it. Probably lime scale etc but unless I can turn the house up side down it may not be possible to get to that area with WD40 etc...

Any ideas ?

@worded The lever refuses to budge upward away from the main body. I've sprayed in WD40 and poured boiling water over the tap.

It so stubborn like there is something else holding it. Probably lime scale etc but unless I can turn the house up side down it may not be possible to get to that area with WD40 etc...

Your last pic shows that you're on the right track. Not sure what'd be holding the lever back as it's almost always a simple plastic push-fit arrangement at this stage (minimal risk of limescale, and your WD40 won't get to where it's needed.

All I can think of is that you might not be pulling it in the right way. See the image below:

• place the lever in the "tap off" position (green arrow)
    • grasp it at the "shoulders" (red arrow)
    • pull straight up towards the ceiling (blue arrow)

I've just had a quick look at one of my own taps of the same vintage and see that the cartridge is held in place by (a) a large hexagonal nut (quite common, will need a big spanner), covered by a decorative dome (unscrews by hand) and (b) an additional plastic washer (pries out with a screwdriver). I haven't seen that washer arrangement before on any tap (and never had to change the cartridge on this on) but therein lies the value of doing a "dry run" … :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions

I'm hoping that this tap won't best me.

I'm using all my strength. This time will see if the arrowed positioning will make a difference .

Thanks

I've still to get back to the tap but found this video ... I had no issue removing grub nut.

I can see how easy this should be :-(

Fingers crossed for my next attempt ...

• Advertisement

It won't budge. Id pull my back out if I tried any harder to free it.

The cartridge feels like it's glued solid to the tap lever. It's unlikely to have been glued but it might as well have been

Disappointed but I'm going to need a new tap by the looks of things

Advertisement