Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW K1200rs _Reliability

Options
  • 28-03-2024 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have been riding Japanese bikes so far as without any major issues. I am wondering if someone can shed some light on the BMW K1200RS. I am kind of tempted as it has a shaft drive, decent wind/weather protection, enough power (130hp) and seems to be well suited for soaking up bumpy country roads and motorways. I am not really gone on the looks but at least it won't attract thieves….

Has anyone any experience with those type of bikes?

Btw there is currently one for sale for little money:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2001-bmw-k1200-rs/36553558

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭JP 1800

They have their issues like any bike, but firstly I would find out the type of ABS that bike has as that was the year they brought out the servo assisted ABS which is problematic. Also the K bikes need to be maintained and BMWs of that era can be unforgiving if the service items are skipped so a service history would be a plus. At least on those bikes the plugs are easy to get to and the basic maintenance is not too bad. Generally they are quite nimble for their weight when on the move but are a pig to move around the garage or even pushing it around as they are a tad off 300kg. I have the k1200GT which are the next gen and a better looking bike in my opinion but they can be needy when it comes to maintenance also. The money is not too bad but I would say that bike is closer to 2.5k as you would get a newer one for the money the dealer is looking for. If your budget allows look for a K1300gt as they are a far superior bike and better value for money in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That generation of K series engine is bulletproof. Over-engineered and with modest(-ish) power for it's size, it'll do 6-figure mileages easily. Probably closer in engineering terms to a car engine than a bike engine, which helps the durability. That and the quality of materials in it (e.g. the aluminium) is better than more recent machines.

Like all BMW's, check the ABS, clutch operation. Gearbox and driveshaft splines are a periodic thing to maintain, but not the end of the world to do.

Looking at the ad, that's a great colour combo imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Thanks guys. Looking at the video it definitely has servo assisted brakes. Someone mentioned if they fail I would have to folk out €2.5k for replacement 😲

I am wondering if they can be bypassed in this scenario? I often read in ads that ABS has been bypassed.…

0ther bikes I am interested are the likes of Blackbirds, FJR1300s etc

I used to have a CBF1000 which was a nice ride but the charging system was very unreliable and left me stranded a few times....(3 burnt out regulator/rectifiers, 1 stator and 2 batteries had to be replaced within 6 months of my ownership...) I heard from other guys that had also issues with the regulator/rectifier on their Fireblades.... Wondering if this is an issue on the Blackbird as well?

Yes the ABS can be bypassed with a bit of plumbing and is not too difficult, there are even kits available to do the sevosectomy as they are referred to. A bit of electrical work can get rid of the warning lights also. The brakes without the servo are actually quite good and give a good feedback. There is plenty of information online on how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

If you want that kind of bike a similar vintage ST1300 or FJR1300 are decent Japanese options too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Widows Son

The Honda charging issues can all be eliminated by upgrading to a Mosfet Regulator/rectifier. Plenty info on the net and owners groups. Ive done three bikes ive owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Abs/servo unit can be bypassed. Maddocks will do it, think they were charging something like 5 - 600 for the job. I bought a bypass kit off Motorworks and the bike(k1200gt) is currently in with the mechanic getting this job done. There's security star head bolts holding the unit in place and I just couldn't be arsed trying to remove it myself.

My advice is go for it. Make sure the clutch is not slipping ("spirited" test ride!) and possible budget a few hundred yoyos for the servoectomy and you could have a great bike. Engine characteristics are similar a diesel car and you can ride at walking pace in 5th gear if you wanted. Feels unflustered at motorway speeds and the b road handling is surprisingly good.

Only word of caution, you will have zero credibility with other bikers but probably an ideal bike if you want to ride to the South of France.

Hi, what year is your gt? I have done the delete myself without using the motorworks kit. Just made up a new brakeline to bypass. Also is the mechanic going to deal with the warning lights on the dash? I have reprogrammed my ecu to convert the bike to the non abs spec hence no warning lights on my dash and no need to keep the abs ecu on the bike so the whole module is removed, ecu included. The total cost for parts was 20 euro

Advertisement