Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to approach for construction drawings?

Options
  • 28-03-2024 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

Grateful for any advice - my roof needs re-slating etc as it is 80+ years old with no felt and starting to get leaky.

It is a hipped roof and I have gotten planning permission to convert it to a gable end roof (most neighbours have terrible dormer conversions that wouldn't be allowed now) - my father did the planning drawings, he is a civil engineer. Since I'm redoing the roof anyways I'd like to futureproof it for conversion down the line.

I'm looking to get detailed construction drawings to put the project out to tender to roofers - I'm just not sure who to approach to do the drawings and would be grateful for thoughts on that.

I've gotten two quotes from structural engineers to specify the structural elements - one was 5k ex vat, presumably I think that included drawings.

The other was 1k ex vat, but I think he is presuming he will specify the steelwork etc and sign cert of compliance upon completion from detailed construction drawings.

If it is the structural engineer who can do the drawings then I will proceed on that basis, just not sure if I need to get someone else to design it, guttering detail etc, such as an architect/technician etc. I rang one and they said the structural engineer would likely do the drawings so just a little confused as a result.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What steel are these engineers designing? Specifically, who has indicated that steel is required?

If the existing roof is a timber truss or cut roof, and didn’t have steel. Then what is that structural different about extending that to the gable?

I wouldn’t be rushing out to engage an engineer that might not be needed. Especially not one that isn’t going to provide complete construction documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Many thanks for the reply Mellor.

The current attic floor consists of 5x2's which won't be sufficient for taking the load of a floor in time.

The 5x2's won't be sufficient for taking the weight of the roof using a knee wall as the span is 6m wide and 5m deep on each side (house footprint is 6m wide x 10m deep with a structural wall in the middle of the house at 5m)

I guess my question is who should I get to do the construction drawings for the new roof - is it an architect and then approach an SE or can an SE do the full job?

Many thanks.

Post edited by thewiseowl12 on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah I didn’t notice the future proof part.

Steel may not be required for a 5m span. I’d engage an experienced architect or technologist and go from there. They will look after all the detailing, and if an engineer is required they can engage for you.

Advertisement