Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to stick this down?

Options
  • 28-03-2024 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed on this piece of furniture (its a bed end thing) that the top cushion part has come apart from the base, assume it was just glued down,

what would be the best way to secure again? Glue again? if so which one?

cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No More Nails or a similar "filling" adhesive as it's thick enough to make-up the gap between the wooden layers where the fabric folds in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wouldn't be applying any adhesive around the edges of the base, it looks like the edges of the base and the top are more or less flush with each other so it'd only adhere to the fabric which wouldn't really work at all. I'd apply it generously to the edges of the three separators and put something really heavy on it to weight it down while the adhesive sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Is it not supposed to be a removable top/lid, how else are you supposed to access the half round ends behind the basket type mesh? How about securing with a piano style hinge along one end so you have easy access but yet a stable top to sit on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

OMG - I just realised that it was only the edges which make contact with that top part. I initially thought that the whole cushion laid on top of the underside! I clearly wasn't fully awake by 09:55. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd screw 6 small wooden blocks around the edge that hold it in place without the need for glue.

Plastic joining blocks would be ideal

If you are only screwing them to the top and not the base then you need one on the round section at each end to stop it slipping, obviously set back a little to take account of the curve. Or site the blocks so that are next to the divider timbers.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'd use Gorilla Glue. (The original, not the superglue)

I put a broken bedside locker back together with it once, and its perfect.

It expands a bit, so don't use too much. You can get it in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You'd have to be careful selecting the length of screws used to avoid them sticking out of the base and through the cushion, depending on the thickness of the base, probably plywood looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

maybe, thats a good point, but was secured before (albeit not very well)

yes good point i think glue might work better given the materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

How about velcro? Use a 20mm strip in 6 locations around the frame- strong enough to keep the seat in place but easy enough to allow removal of the base and no danger of screws puncturing the cushion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You could put hinges onto it, would hold securely and add functionality, maybe a magnet on the other side for extra flashiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd either go hinges or else screw 4 battens to underside of lid. Battens located to sit just inside the outer rails.

Lid remains removable but cannot slip off and battens invisible when closed.

gone with heavy duty velcro for now we never intended opening the top but some great ideas here's thanks all

Advertisement