Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux window leak

Options
  • 27-03-2024 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi I just noticed wet patches on the inside frame of the velux window. Is there seals outside the window that could be perished?

they are about 20years old and a slate roof.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

HI, there are seals around the window used to keep air from flowing past the frame, but in the main those windows use "flashing" to direct the water around the frame.

On the upper half of the window the flashing is what you see overlapping the frame here (excuse the crude line):

On the lower half the flashing is on the window so that it closes down over the bottom half of the frame. If you're seeing moisture and rot on both sides of the lower half then that suggests that the lower flashing is out of place and you might have wind-driven rain entering.

I'd be looking closely at the flashing around the window frame (not the main frame) which mates with this portion to make sure that it's not pulled-up or out of place.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭EvilWonka

thanks for that. I took the flashing off and gave everything a good clean… lots of gunk! Some were a few bent and I straightened them out.

I cleaned out the rubber seals too.

The name plate says a manufacturing year of 96 so might just be their time!

Advertisement