Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult autism diagnosis

Options
  • 27-03-2024 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

I guess I'm just letting something out here so I apologise if this isn't considered suitable for this forum.

Today, at almost 40 years of age, I was diagnosed with autism. I can't say it's a surprise, I've had a gut feeling about it for almost 20 years, but it's a lot for me to process. I cried when I got the word and I still feel very raw, but at the same time it feels almost like a vindication; that my experiences and struggles were real and that I don't see the world in the same way as "normal" people.

The psychologist has issued me a report and has made some recommendations as to where I should go from here. I'm hoping that this may help me going forward in life but for the moment it feels both strange and relieving at the same time, if that makes sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Good luck to you going forward. It's always better to know yourself.

Don't forget as well that you're still the same person you were yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Goodigal

Isn't it good that you are feeling so many things about it, and it most likely explains lots of things you've experienced up until now.

I have 2 sons on the spectrum and I say its just part of who they are, it's not defining them as they both have wonderful characteristics too. You're still you. Just with a little bit more understanding about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

”…..it feels both strange and relieving at the same time, if that makes sense.”

Yes it does make sense. Give yourself some time to take in the diagnosis and information - you’re still you - just a little bit clearer about who you are. The information you have about you may help you in the future - or it may not - who knows - but right now, I just hope you’re ok, that’s all . And best wishes for the future too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

No such thing as normal. I'm about your age. Have known for at least 10 years I am autistic. Never sought official diagnosis. Two of my kids are diagnosed, but they, like me are high functioning despite their difficulties. Your diagnosis changes nothing about you. It helps explain and confirm things you already knew. Best of luck mate. Live the good life. Don't sweat the small stuff...as you do 😁

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Thanks everyone. I feel fine now, it was just a lot to take in and I had to recall some uncomfortable bits from my past on the way, which made it all the more difficult. I haven’t yet read the full report but there’s plenty of time for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I don't know it you are into computers but a retired SW engineer from Microsoft has a good YouTube channel "Dave's Garage", he's Autistic like you diagnosed and an adult. He wrote a book about it there is sample on Amazon you can read. Might be worth getting.

My son might be Autistic too, there are few telltales. I went to talk about it and realised I'm not “neurotypical” either, as I'm dyslexic.

All it is, is information I hasn’t changed you, you are who your are, stop masking it, that’s exhausting and terrible for your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

It's probably going to take a while to sink in, but it's good that you finally have an answer to the suspicions you have and I'm sure it will explain certain things from throughout your life. If you don't mind my asking, how did you go about getting the diagnosis? I'm 34 and I have had suspicions about myself for the past few years that I may be on the spectrum, but all my research has shown that it's practically impossible to get diagnosed as an adult in Ireland, unless you pay a lot of money to do it privately. Did you go privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Yeah I did it privately, and even with that there was a 5 month wait list! I'm not sure if I can give any names on here, but my therapist advised me to contact one of the autism charities and they provided me with a list of psychologists who would see adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

That's fine, I totally understand. I know there are strict guidelines here about medical advice and all that so I wasn't expecting any names or anything. I've looked around a bit anyway so if I did decide to go ahead with it I'm sure I'd be able to find someone suitable. Thanks for the info. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you should get your son tested. It’ll enable him to get better support , DCA allowance , medical card , access to 3rd level https://accesscollege.ie/dare/what-is-dare/

• Advertisement
Advertisement