Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car stuck at port?

Options
  • 27-03-2024 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows about this kind of situation: I bought a new car a few weeks ago, was told it was at the port and would take around 2 weeks. The 2 weeks has passed now and it is due to be registered this week but won't be ready until sometime next week (all going to plan I'm told) - does this mean the car would be present at the dealership if it's going to be registered? I'm wondering what the delay would be in getting it onto a lorry and delivered to the dealer, but maybe I'm naive to the process? I sold my old car the same week I ordered the new one so no car atm and the dealer I bought from is 3 hours away. In fairness to the salesman, he has offered me a courtesy car if it is delayed any longer than next week but I'd rather just get it sorted considering the distance to the dealer and it would be hassle with work etc. (I chose this dealer as it gave me the best deal)

This is the first time I've ever bought a new car so any advice appreciated. I guess I'm a bit paranoid about the car being damaged in transport or something like that. It's an EV so also wondering about battery being left either dead or something for a long period of time.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Things do seem to be taking longer than usual at the moment, to get from the port to the dealerships. Nearly all the manufacturers use NVD for transport, so if they fall slightly behind it has a huge knock on effect, and that seems to be the issue at the moment.

It does seem to be rectifying itself now as there's been loads of new cars being offloaded around here over the past few days (I'm based in a dealership and there's a few other dealerships next to us).

To further delay things, some dealerships have offsite storage where NVD drop the vehicles to, and they are then called off to the dealerships as and when required. Some dealerships don't have much space for new cars to hang about in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Bought a new car recently and the dealer told me the NVD waiting time is around a month at the moment ,but he said the pre registered cars are being delivered quicker , ours was delivered in about a week and preregistered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

NVD never rush things.Ever

Advertisement