Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company won't cover car hire

Options
  • 27-03-2024 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hello hoping for some advice, basically I had an accident a few weeks ago which was my fault, some damage to both cars but pretty minor, both able to drive away and drove the car around in the few weeks afterwards. Both myself and the other party are getting our cars fixed under my insurance. I chose to go with their recommended garage as they said they would cover the cost of car hire. I brought it to the garage to be assessed, it was booked in for repair on 4th March supposed to be ready on 5th. They had arranged a car from a car hire company to be at the garage. Rang on 5th, not ready, same on 6th and 7th, eventually told on 8th March they had to order some other parts that they didn't realise were damaged until they removed bumper. This has continued on now for 3 and a half weeks, every time I call they tell me we are still waiting for parts, won't give me any indication when they will be in, could be tomorrow, could be a month. Won't let me source the parts myself as they have to be dealer approved, won't put the car back together and let me drive it away as they say it is a safety issue. My insurance company are now telling me that my policy only covers car hire up to €200 I have gone well over that, they agreed to extend it until Friday but after that say they will not cover any more car hire. What can I do I am at a loss, I am waiting for my claims handler manager to call me but I am getting nowhere with them. Incredibly frustrating and getting stressed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If that's what your contract states, that's all you are entitled to. If another party was the cause of your damage, you would have a decent argument for extended car hire

Advertisement